Chapter 14

We were all bolting from the Goblin tunnels and into the light. We ran quite a few meters into the woods before we stopped. As we were gathering around, Gandalf was counting us off, making sure that we were all here.

"Five, six, seven, eight...Bifur, Bofur, that's ten...Fili, Kili, that's twelve...and Bombur and Nemirien, that makes fourteen. Where's Bilbo? Where is our Hobbit? Where is our Hobbit?" Gandalf asked. I looked around me. The Hobbit was nowhere to be seen.

"Curse the halfling! Now he's lost?" Dwalin growled.

"I thought he was with Dori!" Gloin exclaimed.

"Don't blame me!" Dori argued.

"Well, where did you last see him?" Gandalf asked.

"I think I saw him slip away when they first collared us." Nori mentioned.

"What happened exactly? Tell me!" Gandalf demanded.

I had enough of this. I was going to tell the truth, no matter how brutal it may be. "I'll tell you what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and warm hearth since he stepped out his door! We will not be seeing our Hobbit again. He is long gone!" I declared. I saw many members of my company looking at each other with disbelief and doubt.

"No." I turned my head to see Nemirien step forward. "I don't believe you." she simply stated.

I widened my eyes. I couldn't say I was angry, I knew the Hobbit was her friend. But I couldn't believe that she couldn't accept the truth. "Do you see him now? I know you don't want to hear this, and I know that it may hurt you, but he is not coming back. He's gone." I told her.

Nemirien annoyingly shook her head. "You're impossible. You've always hated Bilbo!" she accused, turning her back to me. Before I could respond, I heard rustling in the trees.

"I'm not gone, I'm right here." the Hobbit smiled. Everyone turned their heads towards him.

"Bilbo Baggins! I've never been so glad to see anyone in my life!" Gandalf declared.

Nemirien gave a laugh of relief before throwing her arms around the Hobbit's waist. "It's good to have you back." she smiled. The Hobbit beamed at her as the company asked him how he got past the Goblins.

"Well, what does it matter? He's back." Gandalf said.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "It matters. I want to know, why did you come back?" I asked. This could have been the Hobbit's perfect opportunity to leave. All he had to do was turn around and walk away. But he didn't, and I had to know why.

The Hobbit only smiled at me. "Look, I know you doubt me, I know you always have. And you're right, I often think of Bag End. I miss my books, and my armchair, and my garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home. And that's why I came back because you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can." he said.

I looked down. Nemirien was right. I had never given him a chance. Master Baggins truly was a good fellow. He was genuine, kind, and he only wanted the best for those close to him. I was about to say something when I heard howling in the distance. "Out of the frying pan..."

"And into the fire! Run! RUN!" Gandalf bellowed. We all took off down the mountain, and I could hear the barking and growling of Wargs as we did. A couple of the beasts caught up to us. I drew Orcrist and stabbed the beast, while I saw the Hobbit manage to kill another Warg charging at him. We continued to run only to find out that we were heading towards a cliff. We were at a dead end.

"Up into the trees, all of you! Come on climb!" Gandalf shouted. Everyone went to a tree that was nearest to them and began to climb up the branches. I was making my way up when I looked down. I saw Nemirien jumping at the stump of the tree. She was too short. She couldn't reach the branches.