Chapter 20

I was beginning to lose hope. We had been in the dungeons for a few weeks now, and there was no sign of us getting out. We were all tired and miserable. I was worried for Nemirien. The guards took her down from the cell every night, only to hoist her back up every day. She had developed dark circles around her eyes, and was beginning to lose the strength to pull up her body to breathe. She couldn't go on like this. If we didn't find a way out of here soon, Nemirien would soon suffocate.

Today was the worst of them all. The night before, Nemirien didn't even have the strength to move her arms. I saw her eating her small amount of food on the ground like a dog, and she was too weak to get into her bed. Nemirien wasn't even awake when they chained her up this morning, and that scared me. She wasn't going to last too much longer.

I had to do what I promised myself I would never do. I had to accept Thranduil's offer. It was the only way we'd get out of here. It was the only way I could get Nemirien to safety. Today. I would do it today. Just for once, I would not let my pride harm those I love.

"We're never going to reach the mountain, are we?" Ori asked. I was about ready to tell him and the company what I planned to do, but another voice spoke up; a voice that I never thought I'd hear again.

"Not stuck in here, you're not." I jumped up in surprise and practically leaped to my cell door as none other than Master Baggins appeared right in front of me.

"Bilbo!" Balin exclaimed. I heard my company beginning to cheer before the Hobbit silenced them.

"Shh! There are guards nearby." he whisper-yelled.

Master Baggins unlocked my cell, and then headed over to the others. I ran out of the cell and rushed over to Nemirien, who still hadn't opened her eyes. I took Nemirien by the waist and lifted her limp body as high as I could, hoping to give her some relief. Once everyone was free, Master Baggins ran over to me and handed me the keys. "She's too high for me to reach." he told me.

Dwalin came by my side and took my place, while I unlocked the shackles around Nemirien's wrists. Once she came down, her lifeless body fell into Dwalin's arms, and I nearly choked to see that she did nothing to show that she was alive. She didn't open her eyes, she didn't make a sound. Dwalin gave me a knowing look before handing her to me.

Her body was warm, and she was faintly breathing. She was still alive, and that was all I needed. "We need to get out of here!" I whisper-yelled.

"This way, follow me!" Master Baggins began to lead us downstairs, to my surprise. What on earth was he planning? When we got down to the lower levels, I saw a couple of Elves at a table, and they were passed out drunk.

"I don't believe it, we're in the cellar!" Kili hissed.

"You were supposed to be leading us out, not further in!" Bofur scolded Master Baggins.

"I know what I'm doing!" the Hobbit insisted, and continued to lead us through the cellar.

We were led into a large room in the cellar where a number of barrels were piled together. "Everyone, climb into the barrels, quickly!" Master Baggins whispered.

"Are you mad? They'll find us!" Dwalin hissed.

"No, no they won't. I promise you. Please, please, you must trust me!" he begged, and looked over to me.

I honestly wasn't sure about this. It didn't seem like the best plan in the world, but then I thought about Nemirien. Not only would she go back to her suffering, but what would she say if she were awake? Master Baggins was her friend. She trusted him. If Nemirien trusted him, then that was good enough for me.

"Do as he says!" I commanded. Everyone began to climb into a barrel, while I got into one in the front. I placed Nemirien in first, before I got in myself, and scooped her into my arms.

"What do we do now?" Bofur asked. We all poked our heads out of the barrels to see Master Baggins next to a lever.

"Hold your breath." he told us. Before I could ask what he meant, the Hobbit pulled the lever, which opened up the floor, and we all began to roll down it.

I gripped Nemirien tight as we fell down and into a river. Once I made sure everyone was here, I heard a cry, and then a splash. I saw Nori pull the Hobbit out of the water and put his hand on the barrel. "Well done, Master Baggins!" I praised. The Hobbit waved a hand at me. "Come on, let's go!"

We paddled through strong rapids before we reached the gate. That was when I heard a horn sound. I looked ahead to see that some Elf had ordered the gate to be closed. "NO!" I shouted, but it was too late. I grabbed onto the bars of the gate as I rammed into them. I soon felt the impact of everyone else running into me.

I looked down at Nemirien, who was still unconscious. I held her tight as I thought about what would happen if we were taken back. No. I won't let her die. Not when I just got her back. As I continued to helplessly push against the metal bars, the gate suddenly opened.

I looked up with wide eyes to see that someone had pulled the lever to the gate. It was Legolas. The Elf prince shouted something to me as I began to float down the river. "Keep her away from here! Do you understand me?"

I did not understand the Elf prince. One minute, he was harassing Nemirien, and the next, he was looking out for her safety in the harshest way. Did Legolas love Nemirien or did he hate her? Or was he more afraid of his father? I wasn't sure. I knew now that he cared about her. He had to. Legolas surely didn't pull that lever for us. If he didn't do it for us, then it had to be for his sister. As I continued to flow down the river, I thought that maybe the Elf prince wasn't as cruel as he led us all to believe.