six

"Sorry, do you have a map? I'm lost in your eyes."

"That's got to be the worst one yet."

"You said that about the last one too." Adam says, clearly annoyed with me.

"Maybe you should take the hint then." I say, and walk over to the customer waiting in line, taking her order.

Adam, one of my best friends, was currently throwing pick up lines back and forth due to the "hot girl at Chipotle."  He was pretending I was the girl, and so far I hadn't heard one that didn't make me roll my eyes.

As I'm filling a cup with coffee, I give some advice out to Adam.

"Maybe you should get a job there. They're hiring, you know a thing or two about burritos, and you'll get close to her. Problem solved."

Placing a lid on the cup, Adam claps his hands loudly, causing everyone at the shop to silence themselves for a moment.

"Olivia? I love you."

"Your total is $3.89"

"Seriously, it costs that much to love you?" Adam says, then looking away from his phone and realizing that I was talking to the customer. She hands me the money, I give her change, and she leaves, letting me resume my conversation with Adam.

"Have you figured out her name yet?" I ask, and he shakes his head.

"No, but I'm sure it's something magical."

"Like Olivia?" I tease, and he shakes his head.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." He replies, and I smile as the customer bell rings and another person walks in.

I'm not paying attention as they walk over, too busy looking at Adam's phone, where he was still looking at pickup lines.

"Hi, welcome to Time Hortons, what can I get for you today?" I ask, distracted.

"Can I have a medium coffee please?"

My attention is changed from Adam's phone to the customer. I definitely recognized that voice. And judging by the black hoodie this guy was wearing, I knew the owner of the voice as well.

"One medium coffee coming up." I say with a smile, then walking over to make his order.

"What about this one? Are you from Tennessee, because you're the only ten I see." Adam tells me, and I wipe a fake tear.

"Is your pickup game that bad? Try harder, I'm not going to love you that easily."

"You already love me though." Adam shoots back, and I smirk.

"Right, what would I do without you?" I mock, fanning myself as I finish Shawn's order and hand him the cup.

"Your total is $3.89." I say for about the fiftieth time today, since everyone wanted medium coffees.

Shawn looks a little disappointed as he gives me a five, telling me to keep the change.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask, looking over to Adam, who's busy with his phone to notice me talking to Shawn.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"You know, 'I'm fine' is the most common lie told in the world." I tell him, and he shrugs.

"Good thing I'm not lying then."

"Yeah, good thing. Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to meet up somewhere after I get off my shift, which would be in an hour." I ask, and once again, Shawn shrugs at me.

"I don't think I can. Sorry though. Bye." I watch in confusion as Shawn walks out, gloomy as ever. I'm not sure what got into him, but I felt like if he didn't spill it out to his Tim Horton's therapist he would cry himself to sleep.

That's exactly what I texted Shawn, but he never replied. I texted him the next day too, asking if he was free, and he finally did text back, but it was 'no.'.

Something was up with Shawn.

And he was still coming to Tim Hortons too, which was pretty strange. At the fifth day of him ignoring me I threw my apron at Adam and told him to take my shift for just a moment as I went to my house to get my phone. Of course this was a lie. My phone was in my pocket, I just needed to speak to Shawn.

So I ran out and over to him, calling his name. He ignored me. I sprinted to Shawn and grabbed his arm, doing a quick prayer that it actually was Shawn before reaching out.

"Shawn, what the hell is going on?" I ask, and sure enough the guy that turns around is Shawn. The cold February wind goes down my back and I shiver, forgetting my jacket in the café.

"What do you mean?" He asks, and I give him a concerned look.

"You been ignoring me for what seems like forever. I know your busy and all but a smile or two would be nice once and a while when you stop by at the shop. Did I do something? Because I'm really confused on what's going on in right now."

"You have a boyfriend, and you didn't seem to mind at all when we were about to kiss."

I'm stunned for a moment, unable to explain myself because I truly had no idea to what he was talking about. It takes me a second to go through my memory and recall the day where Adam was throwing pickup lines at me.

I can't help but laugh.

"Dear God Shawn, no. Adam is more of a brother than anything else, and incest is a sin-fest. And I'm not that type of person in general, I wouldn't let anything happen if I was dating someone. And nothing happened- right?" I ask, after clearing things up. Shawn's disappointed look is back again and I know it's too late to change my wording when he gives me a tight smile and nods.

"Yeah, nothing."

"I didn't mean it like that, I just sound like a terrible person 24/7. Seriously though Shawn, don't ignore me. Okay? I enjoy hanging out with you."

"Alright. See you later, Liv." Shawn says, but unsatisfied I grab his hand, his pretty warm despite the weather outside.

"When are you free? Be honest." Shawn stops for a moment before answering, as if he was about to say something but completely changed his mind.

"Tonight, I think."

"Good, because both Nora and my parents won't be home tonight, so you can come over and we can watch a movie or something."

"Olivia Roth, are you asking me to Netflix and Chill with you?" Shawn asks, pretending to be shocked. I roll my eyes playfully and laugh.

"Nah, I'm all about that Hulu and Relax life."