sixteen

I held eye contact with Shawn for what seemed like ages, before turning my head and running. I ran to Amber and begged her to take me to the café, because I wanted to be anywhere but here right now. I ran out of Jake's house and to the car, hoping Shawn wouldn't see me.

I run. That's what I do best. I run away from my problems too.

I guess we have that in common.

"Okay, so can I ask why you're in such a hurry to get to the café?" Amber asks, getting into the car.

"My parents don't know I'm here, and I'm supposed to be at the café right now. Nora just texted me saying they were coming home, and stopping my at the café on their way." I lie quickly.

I lie too. Another thing we have in common.

"Then I guess we better hurry to get you home." Amber tells me, and as we leave, I make eye contact with someone that has completely changed my life. So what else am I supposed to do but look away?

The drive is silent. There's the same  radio sound in the background like there always is when you go into Amber's car. She never likes to keep it loud because she has to have a conversation with the other people in the car. Otherwise she goes crazy.

"So, I've got to ask. Who was that guy?" Amber says, and I look at her in confusion.

"What guy?" I question.

"You know, that guy making intense eye contact with you as we drove out of his sight. He looked familiar, I have to say, but it was a little too dark for me to place a name on his face."

"Oh, I don't know him. We just made that eye contact strangers usually give each other. Maybe he thought I was someone else." I say. It wasn't my best lie, but I hoped that it would work.

"You sure? Because the look he gave you- wow. If I got that look from anyone I would hug them and forgive them for whatever it was. You sure you don't know him?" Amber asks again, and I bite my tongue instead of telling her the truth.

Because what am I supposed to say? Oh yeah, that was just Shawn Mendes. You know, the celebrity? Yeah, me and him kind of have a confusing relationship where I really want to kiss him but at the same time I want to strangle him from hiding so many things from me. So yeah, don't worry about it. It's no big deal.

"Okay, fine. I'll tell you who it is." I say, because I know that Amber wouldn't believe me for a second if I said I didn't know him at all.

"Who is it then? Spit it out! We're almost at the café, and if I don't here who it is I'll strangle you."

"Remember that guy I went on a movie date with? Well, that was him. I don't know why he gave me that look though." I say, partially true. It was the guy I went on the movie date with. But I knew exactly why he gave me that look.

"Oh, how steamy." Amber says, and I roll my eyes at her. She reads way too much.

"So, tell me about your love life, since you seem to know mine so well." I say, and Amber shrugs.

"I made out with Jake while you were gone. It was after you gave me the keys. He's not the best kisser though."

"How inspiring."

"Hey! You asked, don't bash me. And anyways, at least it wasn't my first kiss. My first kiss was magical."

"Your dad doesn't count as your first kiss." I say jokingly.

"Yeah, but yours does." Amber shoots back with a grin on her face.

"Good one." I admit, and she nods her head.

"I know, I know. Now get out of my car, we're here." Amber tells me, and I'm surprised to see that we had gone into the parking lot for Tim Hortons.

"Thanks for driving me, Amber. I love you!" I say, getting out of the car.

"I know you do, goodnight!"

"Goodnight!" I shut the car door and begin to walk over to the café, opening the door to see one of the workers, Jasmine, sitting on the counter watching Disney Junior.

"Hey Olivia." Jasmine says, and I smile.

"Hey. I can take the rest of the shift if you want. Unless you're really into this show." I say, gesturing to the tv which displays Mickey Mouse.

"You know what, you can have it." Jasmine tells me, and grabs her purse, then passing me the keys.

"Goodnight, Olivia!"

"Goodnight, Jasmine!" I reply, and go to the back, where the storage is. I grab one of my hidden popcorn packages and place it in the microwave, then getting out a bowl and some soda. I grab the TV remote and change the channel to one of the late night soap operas.

This was beginning to become a ritual.

At the sound of the microwave beeping I open it and pull out the package, then pouring the popcorn into a bowl and opening my soda can. I make sure to shut the blinds on the café because unlike Amber, I was terribly afraid of a lot of things, and would rather make sure that I'm safe than sorry.

Once everything is finally in place I sit at the other side of the counter, my phone on my left side and a kitchen knife on my right. As I begin to watch the show I look at the see through door and notice a figure dressed in all black.

But this time, I don't pick up the knife.

A/N
Okay school is over in five days and I've never felt more blessed even though teachers are giving me tests on the last day like wyd ??? but anyways I updated again!!!