Chapter 4

I gaped in shock. Not sure whether I was seeing things or not.

Fox was pure thoroughbred, though he looked quite old now, and clearly wasn't a working horse. Although given that he'd fractured his leg in the fall that killed my father, I still can't believe he's even here.

My mind raced as it tried to make sense of things. I mean, I thought he was gone. A fractured leg on a sports horse like Fox usually meant being put down. How and why was he here?

As I stared in disbelief the horse suddenly bounded forward and brightly trotted, heading straight for me. My body went rigid in complete panic. A soft welcoming whinny invaded my ears as Fox flicked out his legs, showing why he was such a star in the dressage arena. He floated elegantly towards me, like a ballerina gracefully moving and pointing her toes.

His ears were pinned forward and a soft gentle expression in his face eased my nerves. He stopped a couple of feet in front of me and just looked down as though he was waiting for me to make the final effort to greet him.

My heart was absolutely hammering against my chest, but I'm not sure whether I was nervous to reach out or excited. It's been five years since I was this close to a horse. Living in London the only horses I ever saw were the Royal Guards and they always seemed like emotionless robots parading in perfectly straight lines through the streets.

Slowly my hand moved out, without any instruction from my brain. My fingers twitched as they remembered the feel of stroking the warm, velvety muzzle of a horse. But then I froze once more. I couldn't do it. This was the horse that killed my father. I pulled my hand back sharply. Silver Fox's ears twitched uncertainly but he didn't budge an inch. We went back to simply staring at each other until suddenly a voice came from out of nowhere.

'Hey! Get away from him!' An angry male voice broke through my mesmerised state. Instinctively I backed up a few paces. Fox remained still and just watched.

I whipped my head to the side to find the owner of the unexpected sound. My heart leapt into my throat as I stared, dumbstruck.

Striding across the middle of the field, was a tall, athletic guy with sandy blonde hair that swayed softly with every stride. He must have been about eighteen but he looked like a model who'd just stepped out of the pages of Heat magazine. Except for the fact that he was dressed from head to toe in riding gear. Long, leather riding boots, tight black jodhpurs and a dark striped polo shirt from Joules.

'I...I wasn't...' I stammered feebly as I found my voice.

'I saw what you were doing. This is private property.' He scowled at me. Fox turned his head to the newcomer and affectionately nuzzled at the guys pocket while a lead rein was clipped to his halter. 'You've no right to be in here.'

'I was only taking a short cut.' I snapped back defensively.

'Some of these fields have livestock in. There's a bull around here somewhere. We're not going to be held responsible if you wander in front of him and get yourself hospitalised.'

'I'm not stupid you know. I think I know better than to go wandering up to a bull for an afternoon chat.'

'Well the nearest footpath is back over that gate you climbed.' He stated sternly and waved his hand in the direction that I'd come from.

'I was heading to Hoxley Grove.'

'Oh really?' He asked sarcastically. 'You know the Michaelsons?' He cocked an eyebrow and looked pointedly down at my Nike trainers, the designer jeans and my flashy, manicured nails. 'You're hardly the type to be wandering around the countryside. Isn't there a shopping mall you should be visiting? And it looks like your mascara's running by the way.'

'It is not!' I growled back, but inwardly wished I had my pocket mirror so I could check if it really was.

'Look, girly, just take yourself back over that fence. If you really are heading to Hoxley you can follow the path all the way back round. Ok?!' I opened my mouth to give him a piece of my mind but before I got the chance he spun round on his heel and led Silver Fox away.

'Who the hell does he think he is?!' I grumbled to myself as I climbed back over the gate and stomped my way up the footpath.

When I got back to the house I slammed the door so hard it felt like the whole house shook. I winced at my over aggressiveness. But it wasn't my fault. It was that stupid guy. I was fuming and, unfortunately for the door, it had been the recipient of my anger.

'Oh thank goodness.' I heard Joe say from the end of the hallway. 'I thought it was a heard of elephants crashing through the door.' I looked up and smiled apologetically.

I joined him and Maggie in the sitting room, flopping down dramatically on the single leather armchair.

'I'm glad you're back dear. I was getting a little worried.' Maggie asked in the sweet caring way she had. 'Is everything ok?'

I breathed heavily for a few moments trying to shake off my anger. My grandparents had been nothing but kind and loving since I got here, and I didn't want to take it out on them. I tried to stop myself from thinking about the tall guy and his golden tanned face. So, I forced myself to think of something else, and one thing immediately came to mind. I looked up slowly.

'Why did no-one tell me about Silver Fox?'

'Seen him have you?' Joe stated more than asked. I nodded. 'He's looking good don't you think? He was getting on a bit even when...well you know. But he's part of this family. And...and it was your father's wish to nurse him back and not just have him put down.'

'What?' I sat bolt upright in the chair and stared at my uncle as though he must be joking somehow. 'What do you mean? My father's wish?'

'Hmmm.' Maggie answered. 'After the fall...'

'But he was...he...' My throat burned as the pain of that day surfaced in an instant.

'He was awake for some time Jenna.' I blinked at my grandfather, trying to hold back the tears I could feel running along the bottom of my eyes. 'I was only a couple of fences away when it happened. I got to speak to him before....' I looked down and a single tear made it's escape down my cheek. It's progress was halted by a soft white handkerchief being dabbed by my grandfather, who was now knelt before me.

'I know sweetheart. It's not fair. Life isn't sometimes. You lost a father. We lost a son. But he was thinking of all of us before he went.'

'But, I never got to speak to him.' I choked on the words.

'No, darling. By the time they got him into the ambulance he'd lost consciousness.'

'So what did he say?'

'His first words were to check on how Fox was. Riding is all about a partnership. Whether you're a happy hacker or riding on top of the world. It's all about that bond. And his first concern was for him. He'd managed to stand but it was obvious his leg was done in. Carl made us promise to care for Fox which is what we've done. And he's been happy, though it's clear he misses your dad.'

'Did he say anything about me?' I knew it sounded selfish as the words came out, but I had to know.

'Of course he did Jenna. You were his world. He was so proud of you. And so proud that you were following in his footsteps, living his dream with him.' My throat ached more as I thought about how I'd turned my back on all that now.

'Would he be disappointed in me?'

'No.' They both answered, in unison. 'Life sometimes takes an unexpected turn. But you will find your own path. And wherever it is, your dad would have been proud.'