Chapter 6

After my midnight excursion I quickly fell into an exhausted sleep, which was then abruptly broken far too soon.

'Morning!!!!' I heard Amber's bright, sing songy voice before I peeled my eyes open to let in the beaming sunlight. I was still in bed. In fact I think I was still asleep until the second Amber burst into my room.

'Jeez, you having a lie in? The morning's halfway through already.'

'You're kidding right?' I peeked out at my bedside clock. 'It's not even eight yet.'

'Precisely. You're missing the best part of the day.'

'Urgh.' I groaned, rolling over and pulling the duvet up over my head to try and block out the light.

'It's getting hot already.'

'So.'

'You do remember you're in Yorkshire right? It could turn to rain any minute now. You should come out.'

'Hmm, I will. In a bit.'

'Well don't sleep in too long. There's one of the beginners classes on at nine and they're always good for a laugh.'

I flipped back the top of my duvet and smiled when I was greeted by Amber's cheery face.

'There's this one boy,' She gushed enthusiastically, 'who's only like twelve, but his dad has bought him a 16 hand horse so that he doesn't have to buy him a new one in the future, he'll just grown into it. It's brilliant. I mean the horse is as good as gold, but Louis, that's the boy, he's like a pea on a drum. You've gotta come see.'

'Hmm, maybe.'

'Oh, and a couple of the new foals are going out in the field together for the first time today, that should be good. They always go bananas and gallop around like they've never used their legs before. Anyway, it means there's gonna be plenty of people around, and lots to do. You should come down.'

'Yeah, I'll think about it.'

Amber dropped her eyes and twiddled her fingers around a piece of straw she'd pulled out of her hair. So far I don't think I've see her without a a piece sticking out from her head. I wonder if she purposefully sticks some up there so she'll have something to play with later in the day.

'Sorry about dad.' She said eventually. 'I think he was nervous, it was weird for him too you know.'

'Yeah, I'm sure.' I snorted unconvinced.

'No, really. I think he felt really guilty last night. He couldn't settle at home. Where did you get to?'

'Oh, erm, just around. Down a couple of paths and stuff.' I suddenly sat bolt upright making Amber jump in surprise. 'Some guy yelled at me!'

'Oh? Who?'

'How should I know? You're the one who knows everybody.'

'Ok. What did he look like?'

'Erm,' I thought for a second and wondered how I described the guy without sounding like I was completely doe eyed. It's weird how my brain was now focusing on the fact he was drop dead gorgeous and ignoring the fact he was so rude. 'Well, he was tall, sporty, blonde hair. He was in one of the fields bringing Silver Fox in.'

'Ohhhhhhh. I know who that is.' Amber grinned at me mischievously and I could feel my cheeks burn.

'So?'

'That's Connor.'

'And Connor is?'

'Didn't I tell you? He works for dad. He kind of runs the yard I guess. Dad's trained him to get his stable management qualifications. He's done them all already even though he's still only eighteen. He's pretty cool.'