Chapter 16

Tell my mum? I think I'd rather spend an evening in Tiffany's company. Mum's going to absolutely freak when she finds out.

My mother had called every single evening at nine o'clock on the dot. Her and Jack were having a mixed experience in the south of France. The first couple of days were ok, but mum was quickly losing her rag with the locals, who didn't speak a scrap of English. And then Jack had fallen asleep on his sun lounger and now had third degree burns.

But most of the time she spent our calls grilling me on what I'd done that day. I think she was feeling a little guilty about leaving me behind - even though it was my idea.

I filled her in on Maggie and Joe, told her how well I was getting on with Amber, and that Clay and I had really gotten to know each other better. And somehow I managed to do all that without mentioning once that I was helping in the yard - never mind riding.

I couldn't tell her. I thought I was quite a brave person, but telling my mum I was riding again made me quake in fear. She'll have a fit. It wouldn't surprise me if she jumps on the first plane home and physically drags me back to London.

'......so then I had to go back to the chemists and get a different lotion, only to find he was allergic to that one as well.' Mum rambled down the line. 'Honestly, it's been a nightmare. Anyway darling. Tell me how your day's been. Is everything going ok?'

She knew I'd been nervous about coming back to Yorkshire. She'd have felt the same way about returning to our old home. I didn't know how to tell her it was the best decision of my life.

'Yes....yeah, good thanks. It's been pretty quiet again today.' I chewed my lip anxiously. I'd spent all evening trying to psyche myself up to tell her the truth. But facing that moment now I could feel my resolve wavering.

'Really? You must have something to report. Maggie and Joe ok?'

'Erm, yes.'

'And your Uncle Clay? You're still getting on ok with him?'

'Yes, he's great mum, really.' I chewed into my lip, readying myself.

'Are you sure you're alright darling? You sound a little tense.'

'I'm fine...it's just...well, there is something I want to tell you.'

'Oh?'

Come on Jenna just do it. She has a right to know. 'I....I.....'

Nope, I bottled it.

'......I love you.'

'Ohhh, I love you too sweetheart.'

****************

I kept my head down in the yard. Everytime I spotted sight of Clay I ducked and scuttled off in the other direction. It felt like he could find out at any moment that I'd lied to him and he'd be furious with me aswell. I had no idea what I was going to do. But at the present time, hiding and pretending everything was fine seemed like the easiest, if not the best option.

Clay had told Amber to give Phoebe a break from jumping for a couple of days so we were tacking up to go for a hack. Only it was taking forever. Amber and Dawn had been to the monthly meeting of Moorlands Riding Club and she'd spent all day spitting feathers about the antics of a couple of the committee members.

'I mean it's totally unfair. Just because their kids are really good at in-hand classes and they're the adults who buy up the trophies for the show. They've selected all the nicest trophies for their kids classes. You should see the size of the cup for the 'mountain and moorland' in hand it's huge. You'd think they'd won Badminton. And then the trophy they're giving for the Open Showcross is rubbish. It's just this little gold horseshow with a plague on the front. I mean how is that fair?'