Chapter 13

Maggie fussed over me when I got back to the house. You'd think I'd lost a leg or something. Everytime I moved to either get a drink or go to the bathroom, she'd jump up out of her chair and ask if she could do anything.

And it wasn't much better round the stables. Instead of saying hello, everyone started with 'So how are you feeling?' I know they were doing it because they cared but honestly, after a while it was just down right annoying. In the end I started to just shrug and then switched the conversation to something else.

Maggie wouldn't let me do much around the yard. If she'd had her way I'd have been tucked up in bed for a full week until she was satisfied I wouldn't aggravate the sprain. But I pleaded (and sulked) until she agreed to let me out. Though, I was under orders not to do anything too strenuous, and mucking out and putting the horses out to graze were out of the question. So for two solid days I spent most of my time cleaning tack and watching people in the arena.

I found myself watching, half dazed, half jealous as horse after horse was schooled and jumped. I couldn't get that rush I felt, when riding Blaze, out of my system. But I still wasn't sure I wanted to go down that route again. Riding is still the thing that killed my dad.

*********************

On the third day after my fall, Maggie finally relented and let me carry on as normal. My ankle was still a touch achy, but the swelling was gone so Maggie had nothing to argue with.

Clay had another group lesson going on in the arena, and I'd spotted Tiffany prancing around by the fence, batting her lashes whenever Connor crossed the yard. It made me smile that he never seemed to notice, and Tiffany would sulk as soon as he was out of sight.

Amber and I had already brought the liveries in and I was in Phoebe's stable helping Amber to tack up.

'So what's the competition?' I asked.

'It's a showcross. They're a pretty new event. One round of showjumping and then you go straight off onto a cross country course.'

'And your dad's giving you extra lessons before the big day?'

'Yep. We picked up a cricket score in the showjumping last time we did one. Dad said he'd help me work on Phoebe.'

'You've done a few of these things then?'

'Yeah a couple. We're quite lucky round here, there's several decent courses not too far away.'

I chewed on my lip nervously as I broached a subject I was dying to get the answer too, but was a little uptight about bringing up. I didn't want Amber to read too much into it before I'd had time to think it over myself.

'Amber?'

'Hmmm?'

'Why do like riding?'

'I don't know. I just do.' I rolled my eyes at her unhelpful answer.

'Yeah but.....there must be a reason you like it.'

'Well, I love horses.'

'Uh-huh.'

'And it's good exercise. But mostly.....' She stopped tightening Phoebe's girth and rested her hands across the back of the saddle. '....mostly I love that feeling. When you're just outside, in the open. It's....I don't know...liberating. When I'm riding I'm not thinking about anything else. It's just me and Phoebe - having fun.'

'But doesn't it worry you....what might happen?'

'You mean...like what happened with your dad?' She said tentatively.

'Yeah. I mean, why do so many people risk it?'

'Because they love it.'

'But look what can happen.'