Chapter 14

'Blaze?!' I spun back round to stare incredulously at my uncle. He just smiled and turned towards Amber, who was watching intently. But she didn't look surprised. In fact she looked like she was expecting this turn of events.

And that's when it hit me. They'd obviously been talking about this before now. The three of them. Amber, Clay and Connor. They'd set this up. It suddenly dawned on me that Clay had spotted me riding Blaze. He was the shadow that had vanished. And Connor, he knew I missed it. I told him that myself. As for Amber, she'd been trying to get me to ride from the start. She'd probably spoken to both of them and put two and two together.

'You three have ganged up on me.' I said accusingly.

'Ganged up sounds so harsh. I prefer to think we're just nudging you in a certain direction.' Clay smirked confidently. Slowly he came across the arena and looked down at me from the fence. 'Look Jenna. I'm not going to force you to do this. But I think you want to. Am I wrong?'

'No.' I said weakly.

'Good. So go grab yourself a hat.'

I walked away in such a daze that when I came back again I found I had a hat in my hand that I didn't remember picking up. Blaze was now standing quietly in the middle of the arena looking highly bemused. He appeared to be just as surprised as me that he was tacked up all set to be ridden.

'Ready?' Connor asked as I approached Blaze and started to gather the reins.

'Let's find out.'

Connor held his hand in the stirrup on the other side as I lifted my foot and then swung myself up. I froze briefly as I sat in the saddle, staring down at the top of Blaze's neck. I was nervous, very nervous. There seemed to be so much pressure on me this time, not like when I'd hopped on his back in the paddock. This was it. I was actually going to ride. What if it something went wrong? It would crush what little confidence and hope I had for the future.

Clay and Connor buckled my stirrups into the right length while I sat there struggling to breathe.

Blaze had tensed as soon as I'd gotten into the saddle. He felt strong and powerful beneath me, like a coiled spring ready to let go at any moment.

'Over to you kiddo.' Clay said softly as he and Connor stepped out of the way. 'Just breathe Jen.'

Amber was still walking Phoebe round the outside and I felt a little comfort from having her nearby. She smiled encouragingly at me.

Tiffany on the other hand was now standing on the top of the picnic table. Her face gleeful at the prospect of me getting dumped on the floor. A prospect that was highly likely thanks to the reputation of the pony I was sitting on. I determined in that second I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction. Riding was like second nature to me, it was only my confidence that was lacking - and I was about to restore it. I had to.

Firmly I squeezed my legs and took up a soft contact on the reins. Blaze remained rigid for a second but eventually moved his legs forward at the second time of asking. He stomped heavily like he was wading through quicksand.

'Come on boy, help me out here. Neither of us can afford to blow this.' We walked steadily around the arena.

My body started to relax as the gentle rocking of Blaze's movement told me he was also easing.

Not that it lasted long. After a few circles round in walk, I squeezed again and asked for a trot. Only when I flexed my fingers down the reins to increase the contact Blaze went mental. It was like someone had flipped a switch in his brain. He bunched back on his hind quarters and lashed out with his fore legs.