040

saturday may nineteenth
10:23 am

seo yeong ja
I turned my phone off and rolled onto my side so that I faced Ji Min. Shutting his phone off and placing it on the mattress, he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him. Ji Min's skin felt warm against my cool body. It was the type of warmth that one feels from both protection and satisfaction, as well as the heat. He hummed lightly, then whispered, "You're so stunning and amazing."

I smiled, accepting the compliments for the first time in what felt like an eternity. "Thank you. You're more than what I could have ever asked for. Thank you for looking out for me when no one else was there. And you, Ji Min-ah, are stunning and gorgeous just the way you are. Never forget that, okay? You're radiant, and your smile shines brighter than the sun. You're more than just your body and appearance. You're intelligent, dedicated to music and dance. Loyal. Don't let your thoughts of yourself define who you are as a person because you're so much more. So much more."

Ji Min's chest rose and fell as he inhaled deeply, then I heard his sniffling. Detaching myself from him, I looked up to see tears rolling from the corners of his eyes. I brought one hand up to wipe away his tears. "Don't cry, Ji Min-ah," I whispered, feeling my heart break from the sight of him crying. His eyes flickered down to meet mine. The color seemed deeper than ever, reflecting his vulnerability in that moment. Every single emotion he felt and kept bottled up since high school came rushing out.

"It's been so long since I've heard those words. Don't worry, love; these are happy tears," he whispered, pulling me close again. "Don't worry about me being sad. I'm a lot better now. I want to keep helping you through your troubles."

"Of course. But first, maybe we should get out of bed and go get something to eat," I offered, smiling.

"I'd like that. I'd like that a lot."

•unedited