Chapter Ten: Losing Hope

Sirius and Kingsley were observing. The thing about the Riddle house was that it was in a secluded place. There was not another house within two miles and the only other things around were trees. It was an ideal place for a Death eater hide out, and to bring prisoners for torture.

The two of them could see that there were three death eaters outside on the porch. No-one seemed to check on them except when they were relieved every four hours by another group of three. Sirius thanked Merlin for this as it meant they could quickly get rid of the three that were there and then they had just under four hours to get inside and get rid of the remaining ones and then find Remus. Plenty of time. If the information Regulus had given them was correct.

"So what, we take them down" he indicated to the death eaters sat at a table playing muggle snap "and then we storm the place." Kingsley didn't take his eyes off of the front door.

"Well considering that we don't know where they are in the building, I think that yeah. That would probably be the best way to go about this." Sirius nodded at the large man's response.

"Right then yeah, take them by surprise. There's only one entrance as well as long as they don't try to jump out through the windows."

"Right then in that case we'll leave some people outside guarding the widows. We already know that there are anti-apparation wards up so they can't get away like that. We want to try capture as many as we can, we don't know what information they might have about Voldemort's plans." Kingsley finally turned to look at Sirius. " Listen, I know Remus is your friend, he's mine too but we need to keep our heads in this. This is the only chance we have to get him back because of the full moon tomorrow. We both know what the likely outcome of this will be if Madame Pomphfry doesn't tend his wounds as soon as possible.

"Don't worry about it, I'm doing this for Harry not just myself." Kingsley nodded.

"Right then go back down the road and send a patronus to the others. It's getting dark and I don't want to be in the middle of a battle at night." Sirius nodded and left the brush.

                                                 ***
Remus was sat on the floor of a cell. Well a more accurate description would be that he was leaning up against a wall in a cage. They had released him from his chains a few hours ago only to put new ones on him and throw him in here. He had only two problems with these new chains. The first was that they were silver, so they burnt like hell. He had screamed at first but after a few minutes he had stopped seeing as screaming was only damaging his voice box more than it was already, and the fact that screaming wasn't going to help him much. The second problem was that he couldn't get the off. He had thought that now he was on the ground, not strung up like a piece of meat, that there was a better chance of escape.

He had thought about escaping a lot at first but now he has sort of given up on the idea. There were two reasons for this loss of hope. The first was that there was probably about twenty Death Eaters up there and with the condition he was in he had no chance. The second was actually rather alarming. He was dying. For years now he had suffered with a cough, according to Madame Pomfrey it was because of all the screaming and howling he does at the full moon. So it wasn't the cough that was bothering him, it was the blood that appeared when he did cough. He must have damaged an internal organ, well actually he knew that already he had just hoped that it was a kidney or something. But no, it has to be something really vital like a lung. It's just his luck.