Chapter 10

Monday

19 days to the wedding

"I'm really glad uncle is going to be okay" Zee gushed to Laila who had gotten the excitement out of her own system before Zee arrived. Routinely Zee had called up to inform Laila she'd be at her house in a few minutes when Laila had said

"What?" she gasped "I can't believe I didn't tell you!"

"Tell me what?"

"The foundation dad and Uncle Bash had approached had come through. Uncle Hassan has a donor!"

Zee wasn't sure if her friend was crying or laughing, probably both. Zee had ended the call and asked the driver to please change course and head to the hospital.

Laila had crashed into her for a hug the minute she appeared before them, that was about five minutes ago. She then let go of her best friend and congratulated the family, partaking in their joy.

There was one person left she didn't congratulate and he had just come out of his meeting with the surgeon together with Laila's father and uncles to schedule the operation as soon as the kidneys arrived.

Yeah... it was a deceased donor. Zee said a prayer for the deceased and his family, whoever they were. Only strong people could give away parts of their loved one to save a complete stranger.

"Walk me" Zee pulled Laila's arm and nodded in the direction of Mukhtar who had joined Yaseer and together they were standing a distance away from them. Mukhtar hadn't noticed her presence yet as he and Yaseer were talking.

"Everything will be okay by the grace of Allah" Yaseer was saying when they came within hearing distance. "It sounds hard to believe but it will be. Dad will be fine"

Zee smiled as she heard Yaseer refer to Uncle Hassan as 'Dad'. It seems that he was a first class jerk to everyone but Mukhtar. She felt Laila's hand on her arm tugging her to stop walking. Zee looked at her for an explanation and Laila just signalled her to hold on.

"Besides, I think you should pause worrying to complete a more important task"

Mukhtar looked at Yaseer waiting for further explanation. Yaseer looked over to where Laila's father and Uncle Bash were standing still talking with the surgeon. And it was the first time that Mukhtar entertained the thought that it was possible his maternal uncles were worried about his father almost as much as he was. If so he needed to apologize. To one especially

"You need to apologize" Yaseer stated

The two ladies' eyes met and Zee saw Laila's expression soften. She looked like she wanted to cry but Zee knew that was all that was coming. She wouldn't actually cry. The girl was an iron horse. Zee nudged her having eavesdropped enough for a day so they could go talk to Mukhtar.

When they walked close enough they made their presence known by Zee saying Salam to the two men. She spoke after they replied her greeting

"Mukhtar I heard the news. Alhamdulillah" she smiled at him genuinely. "Uncle is going to be in perfect health in little time Insha Allah."

All three of them said 'Ameen' to the prayers Zee had said before Mukhtar spoke. "Thank you Zainab"

Zee ignored her irrational heart that was acting up just because of how delicate and honest he had sounded while pronouncing her name.

"Really," he continued. "You've been in the hospital every day since day one, supporting my family. I can't thank you enough"

Zee shook her head. "It's nothing"