Chapter 29

Thursday

2 days to the wedding

Walima (Used loosely to denote an event to deliver a sermon)

"Why is this one so quiet?"

Nuh's statement directed the family's attention to Yaseer who was lying still on the couch making no contribution to the discussion going on between his three siblings

"Leave him alone" Mamma's warning was the first thing she said in minutes while her grandkids were busy discussing; she was in supplication pulling her years old Tasbih.

"I just want to know why he's so quiet" Nuh's fake innocent tone conveyed what everyone already knew. He was going to tease Yaseer whatever way he could. Yaseer continued to stare at nowhere in particular and said nothing to his brother

"He's probably tired" Yasmin shrugged "After he dropped us back home he went back to Laila's house to help run some errands. He came back home really late"

Nuh sat up having being reminded of the perfect topic to pounce on his brother's patience "Yes I've been wanting to ask him, when you told me you were going to attend her wankin amarya mamma I was really surprised"

"Why?"

"I thought she was with Yaseer, you know. That we'd soon be going to ask for her hand in marriage for him- not soon but like when he starts making some money-" Mamma and Yasmin mentally rolled their eyes at Nuh's not so subtle jab but to their surprise Yaseer doesn't even flinch. He dedicatedly continues staring at nowhere. Nuh grinned seeing the look his grandmother was giving him but continues anyway "Yeah but honestly I thought they were together or something"

"Only a corrupt mind such as yours would think that" Mamma deadpanned

"No but Mamma" it was Idris talking "Like we all know Nuh's exceptionally dirty minded but even I thought they were together"

"I thought so too" Yasmin admitted meekly

"You see!" Nuh laughed "It wasn't just me"

"Why did all of you assume that?" Mamma stared at the three of them

"Mamma he brought her home what were we supposed to think?" Idris asked

"Aren't you seeing someone?" Mamma stared at Idris "And you've never brought her home so how's that a criteria?"

"Okay aside from bringing her home" Nuh interjected "There's how he behaves around her. The other time she was asking Yasmin where she could get a bottle of cold water, before she finished asking he handed her his"

"He was just being polite" Mamma continued to defend "Something I have to teach you" she gave Nuh a pointed look making him snicker

"Okay Mamma the other time we went out, to see a movie?" Mamma nodded at Yasmin "You should have seen them. They didn't even look at the screen, they were busy talking throughout"

"What's wrong in talking?"

"Nothing but you should have seen them. The ladies behind me were busy wishing they and their husbands were that free with each other"

Mamma rolled her eyes "Everyone has a misconception about these things. Will you three just leave him alone?"

"It's unfortunate she's getting married" Nuh shrugged "I had hope that at least I was going to have one pretty sister in-law"

Idris hurriedly grabbed the throw pillow next to him and smacked Nuh on the head with it "Shut up. Aisha is pretty"

"Of course she is..." Nuh chuckled