Chapter 17

Monday

12 days to the wedding

"Laila is it okay if I bail today?" Zee's voice came through the phone. She sounded unusually calm; weak.

Laila sat up from the bed in response to her friend's unusual tone. It was Monday and she wished so badly she could turn back the clock so it could be Sunday again. Yesterday she had done nothing but laze around all day. Not in the mood to leave the comfort of the guest room and meet either of her parents. It had worked. And when he mom had come in to check on her in the evening when she got back from work; she pretended to be asleep. But today was Monday and unfortunately Monday came with responsibilities. Sitting up she caught sight of herself in the mirror making her groan internally. Responsibilities like looking less of a zombie

"You sound... are you ill?" Laila asked

"Nothing a day's rest won't fix"

"Are you sure?" Laila insisted "I'll come see you"

"No, it's okay. Really" Zee smiled "I'm the medical student remember? I'm fine"

"I'll call to check up on you later. Get some rest"

Once the call ended Laila stood up, reluctantly walking to the bathroom. As she neared it; she realized she'd be all alone with Yaseer and she wasn't in the mood to be in the same space with him. Maybe she could borrow Maryam?

She shut the door of the bathroom hard in annoyance knowing Ya Zainab would never let it happen.

She already knew the rest of the day would suck.

XXX

"She bought it" Zee said as she ended the call.

"Look at you" Mukhtar grinned; proud "I never would have guessed you'd be able to lie to her without being caught"

Zee raised a brow at him "Don't underestimate me" her eyes widened at what she'd just said. Where the heck did she get the courage to be smug with Mukhtar?

"Never" He shook his head "Let's go" he said pulling open the car door for her and waiting for her to get in.

Zee felt like she was spinning... it was actually happening; she wasn't hallucinating. Fifteen minutes ago her five year old brother had stumbled into her room to tell her that some Mukhtar was here to see her. She chucked it up to excess adrenaline running through his system from how he had been playing with the neighbour kids. She was greatly surprised when she emerged outside minutes later to find Mukhtar talking to her brother waiting for her to come out.

"I need your help" he had said

She had responded politely as always "Sure. What can I do for you?"

"It is sort of impossible to buy the perfect wedding gift when your sister is Laila... I was hoping you could help me out" he quickly added "If it's okay with you of course"

Zee had been too stunned to speak. Mukhtar knew of her existence independent of Laila? She knew in his head it was always Zainab, Laila's friend. Never Zainab an independent human being who had a life outside of Laila and who's opinion mattered on anything.

"So?" he asked sounding hopeful "will you help me?"

She nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

"Thank you so much Zainab. I really appreciate it" he smiled despite her emotionless face. "I couldn't figure out what to get her and I can't ask her so... you're the best chance I have"