Chapter 16

Saturday

14 days to the wedding

"Isn't it just beautiful outside?" Laila asked excitement oozing out of her making all three spectators look at her in scepticism. She had roped in Mukhtar for their trip and taking advantage of the number of people with her; she had decided they were going to order a cake and they were going to check out the halls she had in mind. And maybe if they finished early do something fun...

Why is she in a good mood? It might have something to do with the fact that she spoke to Yusuf that morning, just before Zee arrived. She was full of apprehension as he answered the phone. She had been preparing and editing the speech she'd give him; the fastest way to explain what happened was a mistake. She was blown away when she began speaking only for him to cut her off,

"I'm sorry. I am the one in the wrong clearly. Of course I know whatever happened was a mistake; I know you Laila; you're not that kind of person. I shouldn't have let my jealousy cloud my thinking"

She felt a grin come on her face "You were jealous?" she had asked him

"Of course I was jealous. But it doesn't matter. I was stupid to think you had anything to do with it in the first place"

"Thank you Yusuf. You have no idea how relieved I feel, I couldn't even remember how it happened because I didn't notice it then. And yeah it was an accident I was going to fall so he caught me. I'm sorry"

The conversation had taken another route; they spoke... she caught him up about the preparations and told him her schedule for the day. He was going to drop by later.

"It's sunny" Mukhtar replied bringing her attention back to the present, "Dusty and hot. What exactly is beautiful about the day?"

"The fact that I can wear this" She grinned slipping on her Dior sunglasses. Mukhtar said nothing further and got in the passenger seat; her usual spot in Yaseer's car. The two ladies got in the back and Yaseer drove out without saying anything. 'How unusual of him' Laila thought. She hoped he was okay

XXX

"I like it..." Mukhtar said turning around to look at the massive hall. It was the first place on their agenda. The venue was a huge circular hall, she could imagine her dinner there; with her and Yusuf on the stage... She noticed how the stage wasn't exactly in the middle of the room. It was more to the left making it harder to see the people at the extreme right.

"Mukhtar can you please go stand at the extreme right?" He nodded and headed to where she specified without bothering to ask why. "Zee please stand in the corner, over there" she pointed at the extreme left. She left Yaseer standing where they had all been and walked over to the stage with him slowly walking after her; to see the entirety of the hall. She got on the stage, pulled a plastic chair she saw lying around to the middle of the stage and sat on it. Her suspicions were confirmed, she could easily see Zee but not Mukhtar.

"You guys the stage is not in the middle" she called out to them "I can't see you Mukhtar"

"How does that matter?!" he called back

"It does! I want to be able to see everyone. Well actually I want everyone to be able to see me" she didn't want her guests straining their necks to get a picture of her... which good event planner wouldn't consider that?

"How do we know it's not just you?!" Zee asked. "Your eyes are probably weak!"

"My eyes are not weak Miss reading glasses!" Laila yelled back. She then trudged to where she got the first plastic chair and got another one; walked back to the centre of the stage and kept it beside hers. She used her index finger to call to Yaseer. He raised his brows at her