Chapter 13

Thursday

16 days to the wedding

"Why didn't Yaseer drive us today?" Rahma asked as the three ladies got out of the car in front of a small shop; a printing press.

"He wanted a break today" Laila lied. She had gotten them out of the house earlier than the normal time, before Yaseer got ready. She didn't want to see him. As it was she was already drowning in guilt, she didn't need to have him drive her around.

"I thought you couldn't drive, that's why he's been driving you around"

"I can" Laila said locking the car and stowing the key in her purse. "I just don't like doing it"

Zee slid open the glass door and stepped into the shop with Laila and Rahma following closely behind. The boy who was in the shop excused himself to go get his older brother after offering the three ladies seats.

"I have the laziest family in the world" Laila commented to Zee. "This is supposed to be a gift for my wedding but I'm the one getting it done"

They were at the printing press to order stickers for the wedding souvenir her family was making for her.

Zee chuckled. "Be grateful they didn't send you to buy the souvenir yourself. You're only getting the stickers done"

The door slid open and a tall kind looking man entered, the little boy behind him. They discussed what they wanted and he brought out a book from behind the counter to showcase a few designs. Laila asked for a piece of paper and pencil and drew what she wanted. They discussed numbers, price and they date it was to be ready. Laila made a deposit and within ten minutes of their arrival, they were done.

"Where are we going to now?" Rahma asked

"To check on my tailor's progress"

Laila slowly but steadily drove to the shop and as feared, the gown wasn't ready

"I'm wearing this in less than two weeks. And you're still cutting?!" she shrieked. "I gave it to you early so that you'd do it with no pressure and do it well not so you could postpone it and do everyone else's!"

"I'm sorry Madam. I promise it'll be done"

"Joe I trusted you enough to hand over my fate in your hands. Don't mess up my future". The corner of his lips tugged in a smile and she shot him a glare. "I'm serious"

"I promise it'll be done. Give me a week. Your gown will be the subject of envy"

"It better be. A week max?"

"I promise"

"Fine" she frowned and stood up, "I'll be back soon"

The day was supposed to be spent in searching for more catering options but as Yaseer had offered to take her to one, the printing press and the tailor were it for the day. As she drove back home, Laila allowed herself to worry. What was wrong with her? The first time she spoke she had to touch the subject of his late parents, now she all but confessed she thought he'd turn into a useless person. She wanted so badly to tell him that she didn't believe it but that would be lying. She had not thought to discredit it, all she did was pray to God it wasn't true and if it were true; that Allah bring him back on the right path.

She didn't doubt the truthfulness of the rumour

"They're fighting!" Kalthum announced disrupting their little circle. It was break time and the girls as always were sat together, having lunch and talking.

"Who is fighting?" Fadeela asked

"Let's go see!" Laila yelled and pushed her lunchbox in an effort to stand up then ran out of the class towards the playground where no doubt the fight would be. On arriving, she saw her brother hunched over, trying to pull off one of the fighters. She knew Mukhtar wasn't going to be amongst them, he wasn't violent. However as she moved closer and caught a glimpse of the kid who was straddling the other boy, doing all the damage... her heart sunk.