Chapter 30

Friday

1 day to the wedding

Event: Pre-wedding Dinner

"Are you guys ready?"

Laila looked at the door seeing Ya Halima standing by it. A sad knot formed in her throat, so this was how things were going to remain. She was going to be married tomorrow afternoon and would be taken to her house and things between her and her sister were going to remain this way; sour.

"Yes we're ready" it was Ramlah who answered her "Ya you look beautiful"

"Thank you Ramlah" Ya Halima smiled "All of you look so beautiful"

Laila's eye met her sister's and was surprised Ya Halima didn't look away quickly like she used to. Laila spoke "Ramlah, Zee" she touched Zee's arm lightly "If you don't mind excusing us please"

"We'll wait in the living room" Zee replied and walked out after Ramlah whose phone began ringing. Once they left, Laila ignored the curios look on her sister's face and walked up to her, towering over her sister due to the heels she had on against her sister's flats. She stared down at her intertwined hands before she began talking

"I'm sorry. We fought because of what I did and I deserve your anger but despite our fight I've been praying that your marriage doesn't fall apart and I really hope you forgive me" she was sobbing then "I don't want to leave tomorrow knowing you're still angry at me. I'm sorry Ya"

Halima surprised both herself and her sister by pulling Laila into her for a hug. "I should never have said those things to you Laila, no matter how angry I was" She gently pushed Laila off her and used her palm to wipe off her tears. "Let's go"

It was dark and almost everyone had left, only two cars were left behind. Their father's car was to take Laila and three others while the second car would take the remaining three ladies.

Laila climbed in the backseat with Zee sitting beside her. Ramlah who was talking on the phone got into the front seat beside the driver leaving the space on Laila's right empty. Ya Zainab poked her head in through the window by Laila's right to speak to Laila "I'll send Rahma to take this seat. Ya Halima, Yasmin and I will be in Job's car"

"No" Laila stopped her from leaving "send Yasmin here instead"

Ya Zainab gave her a puzzled look but said nothing. Laila watched her reach Yasmin who was holding up a purse mirror for Rahma and told her to go in the car.

"I want to be in the bride's car" Rahma requested

"Laila's puffy dress has occupied most of it" Ya Zainab lied "Yasmin is smaller, it's better she goes there"

Rahma nodded and took the mirror from Yasmin before the latter walked to the car and climbed in.

"I love your dress" Laila squeezed Yasmin's hand as she complimented her

"Thank you"

"Where's Mamma?"

"They dropped me here and went to the hall"

"They?" Laila tried sounding casually inquisitive and succeeded "She and Yaseer"

"No, Ya Idris. Yaseer left"

She nodded and faced forward as the car started, ignoring how jittery she was feeling.

"Take the lead Mallam Sa'adu" Ya Halima instructed the man "We'll follow"

XXX

"Where have you been?" she sighed in obvious relief hugging Mukhtar despite the audience of more than hundred watching her.