5 Confession

"Laurens."

Laurens's eyelids flutter open.

"Alexander...?" He murmurs.

"Laurens, it's me."

The drunken man sucks in some air through his mouth, wincing.

"Easy there." Alexander's gentle voice floats over to Laurens like music. "You're at your house. You're alone here, so I came to keep you company."

Laurens nods. "'Xander, 'm sorry..." He slurs. "I saw you with that girl."

"Eliza?"

"Mm-hm."

"She's nice, isn't she." Alexander smiles.

"You don't understand!" Suddenly Laurens, who had been near comatose for the past half hour, leaps up and shouts at his friend. Alexander had never experienced an emotion from Laurens that wasn't positive or adoration-filled, and his eyes widen in shock.

"You could never understand!"

Alexander's lips form an 'o' of surprise. "Laurens, you're drunk, you need rest...!"

Laurens slumps back down and begins to cry silently. "You could n-never understand...the f-feelings I have for you."

Alexander is at a loss for words this time. He can't fix this. He can't change the feelings they have for each other. He looks at the crying Laurens, with his shoulders shaking with silent sobs. For once, he can't alter this situation with neither words nor quill. Alexander had gotten used to being in charge of his own life since he came to New York. But Laurens sparks feelings inside his body he can't control, and it's confusing and unfamiliar.

"Laurens..." He says gently. "I'm scared too."

Laurens looks up, his eyes pools of golden sorrow. "What?"

"I'm scared too." Alexander takes Laurens's hand, the feeling of their skin meeting startling them both with its sincere affection. "But I swear I will find a way for us to work out."

Laurens looks at Alexander. "Promise?" He asks softly.

"Promise." Alexander says. He looks at the drunken Laurens, and knew with a start he wouldn't remember any of this in the morning due to his inebriated state. Alexander kisses Laurens's forehead.

"Goodnight." Laurens's eyes snap open.

"Stay..." Alexander turns around, surprised.

"...please?" Laurens looks at him with the puppy-dog look he knew so well.

How could Alexander resist that golden gaze?

"As you wish." Alexander sits next to the bed he had set Laurens on and watches him until they both fall asleep.

------
Sorry for the shortness of this chapter! Not every chapter will be as long as the first four, sorry! I also really wanted to get to this part because of all the Lams-y angst haha ;)

SaccharineCyanide