18 Vacation

"About the Constitution, Eliza, it's a great idea! Nobody wants to have a repeat of what Britain did to us!" Even thought he was born in the West Indies, Alexander included himself in his last statement.

"I don't know, Alexander. Won't the government grow to be more oppressive?" Laurens cut in as he took a seat at the dinner table. The Hamilton family is just having a simple dinner conversation about the pros of the Constitution and the dangers of oppressive government.

"Not at all!" Alexander's voice rose. "The Constitution is the one thing that will stop us from having the oppressive government!" Eliza put a hand on his shoulder to calm him down in front of Philip.

It's been quite a while. Philip is nine years old today.

After the dinner table is cleared, Eliza stands up. "Boys, Philip turns nine years old today."

Even though Alexander acted like he knew, it came as a shock to him. Soon Philip would be going to school and working!

Eliza continued. "He has something he'd like to say."

Philip takes a deep breath and brushes his long curly hair out of his face.

"Daddy, Laurens, look!" He grins. "My name is Philip, I am a poet, I wrote this poem just to show it, and I just turned nine...you can write rhymes but you can't write mine!"

"Whaaat!" Alexander beams proudly.

"I practice French and play piano with my mother!"

Laurens laughs encouragingly.

"I have a sister but I wan' a little brother!"

"Okay!" Alexander nods, grinning.

"My Daddy's tryin' to start America's bank! Une, deux, trois, quatre, cinq!!"

"Bravo!" Laurens, Alexander, and Eliza erupt into cheers.

Alexander embraces his son and Laurens feels a wave of love for the man wash over him and pool into a puddle in his heart.

When the laughs and cheers die down, Eliza takes Philip to bed.

Laurens looks at Alexander. "Hey, your kid is pretty great."

Alexander grins. "A child is only as good as the people surrounding him, my dear John."

"But of course." Laurens smiles coyly.

Eliza returns. "Alexander, I must speak with you about something important."

Alexander leans forward, prepared to argue if needed. "Yes, dear?"

Laurens feels a pang of jealousy in his stomach. "Should I-?" He gestures to the door.

"No." Eliza's curt reply sat Laurens back down quickly.

"Now, I understand that you both have your duties to your country, but I want you two to come with Philip, Angelica, my sister, and me upstate for a vacation." Eliza says. "My sister has already accepted the invitation–"

Alexander is quick to interrupt. "Eliza, you know I must get my plan through Congress–"

"I'll go." Laurens says. "You two might need help with the children." He smiles at Eliza's relieved expression.

"Yes, thank you so much, John."

"Eliza, I'll lose my job if I don't get his plan through Congress." Alexander says. "President Washington is counting on me, hell, even Adams is counting on me. I can't throw away this opportunity."

Eliza's face falls.

Laurens takes her hand, as if to say, "it's okay, he'll come around."

He never did.