13 Call Me Son

"Lee, do you yield?!" Alexander calls to the bleeding man.

"He shot 'im in the side, of course he yields, Hamilton!" Burr shouts, annoyed.

Laurens lowers his pistol, his hands steady for the first time that day.
"I-I'm satisfied!"

"We have to leave!" Burr yells, holding up the injured Lee.

"No-" Alexander starts to shout back, but a familiar figure walks toward them.

"This should be fun..." Burr mutters, dropping Lee. Their doctor tends to the hurt man. "Your Excellency, I-"

"What is the meaning of this?!" Washington thunders. "Burr! Hamilton! Laurens!" He shouts to get their attention.

The men turn and look at Washington. He looks livid.

"Burr! Get General Lee to an infirmary." He shouts. "Explain to him that it is the fault of the men that organized the duel, not me."

Burr nods, salutes, and begins to obey. "Yes, Your Excellency."

"Hamilton, Laurens, meet me inside."

Laurens swallows hard.

As Alexander walks beside him, he feels their hearts beat in unison. The familiar "thu-thud" calms him somewhat, but the problem remains.

Washington tells Laurens to wait outside and takes Alexander inside.

"What the hell were you thinking, son?!" Laurens hears the general shout.

"Don't call me son." Alexander grits his teeth, the fatherly way Washington refers to him making him bristle.

"Watch your tone." Washington warns. "I don't need to be protected-"

"Charles Lee, Thomas Conway, these are the men that will drag your name to the ground! I was trying to help-"

"Don't interrupt me, son-"

"-I'm not your son!"

(He's not my father my father left a long time ago)

"I believe I told you to watch your tone, young man! You're not the one that should be worrying about my name. It's been through a lot; I can take whatever's thrown to me at this point!" There's a slight growl to the general's voice now, and Alexander notices it.

"Sir, Laurens and I were calling Lee out on his insubordinate actions! We were-"

"I don't need protecting!! You should know that! I don't want to hear what you and Laurens thought you were doing for me-"

"Sir, just listen! This could have been avoided if you just put me in charge of a battalion, I wouldn't let you down-"

"No! Son, you-"

"CALL ME SON ONE MORE TIME!"

The general blinks in shock at Alexander.

"Go home, Alexander." He says, scarily calm. "That's an order."

"But sir-" Alexander begins to plead.

"Go home."

Alexander walks out the door, defeated. Laurens meets his melancholy brown eyes.

"I'm sorry I made you do this, Laurens."