19 Parting Words

"Alexander, Laurens, Philip! Come downstairs! Angelica arrives today!!" Eliza calls up the stairs. She is still slightly cross that Alexander isn't coming.

The three men of the house jump downstairs to see Eliza and Alexander's daughter Angie standing at the door. Angie is staring out the door expectantly, waiting for her namesake to arrive any minute.

Alexander sighs contentedly. Although his family and Laurens are leaving, it's nice to see them one last time.

He kisses Angie on the cheek. "Good afternoon, Daddy." She says mildly. Alexander is briefly reminded of Eliza's impeccable manners the first time they met. He's lucky that his own daughter doesn't call him 'sir' with Eliza's polite blood coursing through her veins.

Before he can mention anything of the sort to Eliza, a coach pulls up in front of the house. Angie squeals in delight. "Auntie Angelica!!"

Philip and Angie push through the door to meet their aunt. Angelica's face lights up when she sees that her niece and nephew came to greet her. "Philip! Angie!" She grins and embraces the two children.

Angelica walks up to the door with the children trailing behind her like puppies.

"Angelica!" Eliza exclaims melodically.

"Eliza!" Angelica replies in an equally sweet voice.

There's a pause where Peggy may have sung her own name, but she's been dead for years, and there's a chill in the air where she would have strung the melody of the sister's names together.

Laurens notices. "The Schuyler Sisters..." He murmurs. Angelica looks at him as if noticing him for the first time. "Mr. Laurens!" She says happily, embracing him. Laurens, although surprised, hugs her back. He knows what it's like to lose a sister.

When Angelica is done hugging Laurens, her eyes fall on Alexander. There is it again...that flash of regret sprint across her deep brown eyes.

"Alexander."

"...hi." He says sheepishly, suddenly guilty that he isn't going upstate with the family.

Angelica holds Alexander close enough for Laurens and Eliza to get jealous.

"Ahem...Angelica?" Eliza asks awkwardly.

"Yes, dear sister?" Angelica replies, letting go of Alexander.

"Please knock some sense into this man by telling him that John Adams, the current Vice President with a job much more important than my headstrong husband's, spends the summer with his family." Eliza snaps, crossing her arms.

Angelica relays the message, even though Eliza and Alexander are less than four feet apart.

"Angelica, tell this woman that when John Adams has a job, my daughter herself will be President."
He scoffs, although there is regret in his heart when he realizes that he will not see his family for a while.

"Wait you're not-" Angelica begins, starting to protest.

"I'm afraid I cannot join you upstate."

"Alexander, I came from London, for God's sake!" Angelica cries exasperatedly.

"I apologize. My work has me completely paralyzed." Alexander says, by way of explanation.

"Fine." Angelica sighs. "We'll get along just fine without you, right?" She addresses the small group of people ready to leave.

"Yeah!" Laurens cheered jokingly. Alexander stifles a smile at the man's silliness.

"Come on, Philip and Angie. Say goodbye to Daddy." Eliza pushes the children in their father's direction. They embrace him and prance along after Angelica.

Alexander looks apologetically at Eliza. "I'm sorry I cannot join you."

"Do what you need to do." Her reply, although curt, was not as cold as he expected it to be as she kisses his cheek.

She exits the house. Laurens steps up to Alexander.

"May I have a hug as well?"

Alexander's cheeks redden softly. "Of course." He embraces the man tightly, never wanting to let go.

"Have fun at the lake." Alexander murmurs into Laurens's shoulder.

"Work hard for me." Laurens grins and steps away, his parting gift to Alexander just four simple words.

Alexander nods as Laurens walks to the coach.

(I have so much work to do)