10 - On the Same Side

"He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I was missing-"

"He'd burn the whole world down 'till he could dig you out of the ashes, I know".

- The Mortal Instruments: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare.

:/:

Olalla had made it home eventually, only after making a detour to the local tavern for a well-earned whisky. Well, she had survived not just an evening with MIO, but walking back alone in 1930s London at 11 o'clock at night. Maggie had met her with such a sigh of relief when she opened the door; and knowing her she had probably been pacing all evening.

"So..." she had started, when Olalla finally decided to curl up in a chair. "How did it go?"

"Well, your granddaughter's boyfriend is one of the most audacious people I have ever met".

"Tom Sackler?" she asked curiously, tilting her head. "I didn't even know him and Lottie were dating".

"I've dropped her in it, haven't it?"

"No, it's... nice".

"'Nice' is probably one of the most patronising adjectives you could have used".

"No, it is. Good for Lottie to finally find a man after that, um... Oh God, what was his name?"

"No idea".

"Me neither. Oh well, couldn't have been that memorable", she chuckled. "Maybe it's time you found yourself a man".

"Nah, I'm a lone wolf me. Besides..." she lulled, pouring herself a glass of gin. "I've got my eyes on someone that if I told you, you would probably kill me".

"Dance?"

"How-? How did you know?"

"Oh, dear, didn't anyone tell you. Grandmother knows all".

"You... don't mind?" Maggie just laughed.

"I fell in love with Edward Hyde, dear. You make your own choices in life, and I will support you whereever you go, just like I will for Lottie, for Robert and for Ravi".

"I don't know how you dealt with my grandfather, knowing every time he came through the door he was a different person".

"It's called brandy. And you don't think I wonder which one you are when you come in?"

"Thank you. For putting up with me, and I will make a concious effort to be Jekyll", she replied, making Maggie smile. Then she backtracked for a second, and felt for the Jekyll Ring in her pocket. "I- I need to go. Just to test something out". Olalla quickly hopped out of her chair and rushed down the steps to the lab.

"Don't blow anything up!" Maggie called after her.

:/:

"Blow anything up", Olalla scoffed. "Would I ever do that". She tapped down the metal steps, looking over the lab, and noticed no one was in at the moment.

"Weird", she thought. "Ravi's usually in here". It panicked her for a minute, especially when she noticed Garson seemed to be missing too, but she breathed a sigh of relief when she found a note on the table reading:
'Gone to get more supplies. G & R'. Well, as she was alone; she might as well try out this ring. Curiously she took it out of her pocket and rolled it around in her fingers. Was this really an instrument of the Gods? It looked so conventional, so innocent, but maybe that was the façade it held. She placed it on her index finger and immediately the jewel on it glowed green. She had kept her promise - she had been Jekyll for many days now and, though her Hyde side burnt a constant, horrible pain in her, she was going to keep it that way.
Though now, with this ring on her finger, the only person who seemed to benefit from its power was her Hyde. It seemed stronger.