23 (Part Two) - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

"And you, my father, there on that sad height //Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray. //Do not go gentle into that good night. //Rage, rage against the dying of the light

- Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night, by Dylan Thomas

:/:

"Robert?" asked Bella again, and now the demons immediately homed in on her. Taking her gun out of her pocket, she shot at one, but it just carried on, fangs bared and dripping with black saliva. "Sorry, Hyde", she murmured, taking the Hyde Sword out of his hand. Gripping it between her fingers, it was heavy, but utilisable. Standing up, a gloomy smile crossed her cheeks as she looked at Robert, then spun around, slashing a wound across a demon's chest with the sword. It paused, looking at the deep gash, then imploded into a cloud of smoke, like the Vetala did on their demise.

"There's too many, Bella", she could hear Hils call from somewhere in the vast crowd of demons. "And they don't just bloody die".

:/:

"Look at this, Dance", Olalla exclaimed, still threatening Keres with death, though the vampire queen didn't seem all that scared. "Look at what you've done".

"I know", Dance smiled, looking over the destruction. The demons had began to tear things apart; the trees had been ravaged, and some escaped into the countryside. "Isn't it beautiful?"

"You're insane".

"You're the one that fell in love with me", Dance muttered under his breath.

"You can stop it all now, Dance. Close the portal".

"I've told you. Rejoin Tenebrae, cut all ties with this poisonous family of yours and I will close it".

"That's blackmail".

"You've known me for a long time, you must know this is how I operate". Dance smirked, watching Olalla forcefully push Keres against the wall of the church. Impaling her into the stone with her blade, the Tenebraen senior tried to move, but it wouldn't budge, and just raised an eyebrow.

"I can't join Tenebrae, Dance. I can't do that again, but that's all you're here for, so run. If you get away now, MIO won't catch you".

"MIO are miles away, and I'm not a coward".

"It's not cowardice to admit you've won. Because you have. You've made me think about it", Olalla answered bluntly, then pointed to Keres. "Do you want your boss back?"

"Keep her", Dance said, then started to walk away. "This family of yours Olalla, it's tainting you. Mercy it's... such a defect".

:/:

They were outnumbered. Greatly. In fact Lottie had resorted to throwing her gun at one of the incoming demons, though to no prevail. Slashing claws came at her; her telepathic powers were wearing. They had once been so much more powerful when she had Fedora, but now that Renata was... looking after her, London was safer. Though sometimes Lottie did dare to wish she had her back.

"Hils!" she shouted. "Or anyone for that case. Got a spare gun?" No answer, and she thought she was done for. But then, a gunshot, a black bullet whistling through the air and landing in the demon's back. It hissed, its scaled skin evaporating into thick streams of gas, then imploded.

"Miss Jekyll", lilted a Welsh voice, which Lottie immediately recognised. "Glad to see you're still with us". A few steps away from where the demon had been stood Sackler, a long smile creasing his cheeks. Lottie beamed back, running up and hanging her arms around his neck.

"You know, still going", she replied. "How did you know where to find us?"

"Apart from the massive hoard of demons currently terrifying the locals, we got a call from Lily", Sackler said, and Lottie noticed the six primly-dressed MIO agents. She could recognise most of them: Hannigan, Lily, Bulstrode, Mr. Wax, and Brannigan, all wielding several different types of firearms. However there was one man she didn't, a tall man with sleek, brown hair and short moustache. He looked like he would be more at home writing than part of MIO.