13 - Blood is Thicker Than Water

"I don't know where you're going, but have you got room for one more troubled soul/ I don't know where I'm going, but I don't think I'm coming home/ And I said I'll check in tomorrow if I don't wake up dead/ This is the road to ruin and we've started at the end/ Say yeah/ Let's be alone together/ We could stay young forever/ Scream it from the top of your lungs, lungs, lungs//

- Alone Together - Fall Out Boy

:/:

"I'm not going to fight you Olalla", Dance exclaimed, holding a hand out to her. "Not my own daughter".

"Then give my sister back and we won't have to", Olalla replied, twirling the blade in her palm. She looked up at the MIO office and Dance followed her gaze. Quickly, he put two and two together.

"Hold on. This is not about Fedora; you never knew her that well, let alone cared about her. Have they...? Have they turned you Olalla? Have MIO finally turned your pretty face away from me?"

"I was promised someone. Someone I do care for".

"Robert? Robert Jekyll? I could have found him in half the time, and I wouldn't ever make you do something you didn't want to do".

"Who said I didn't want to hurt you? Who said I cared about you? Who said I cared about anyone?"

"Because you're at a disadvantage, Olalla. Unlike Louis Hyde, unlike Bulstrode, unlike anyone else, I know that face the best. You're my daughter, Olalla, and I don't care how loud Louis Hyde shouts from the rooftops, you will always be one to me".

"I- I suppose you were the only family I ever had. But I always wanted... something more".

"Olalla. I can't love in that way, I'm sorry. I can be a father, I can be a friend, but I can't be your lover. It's just..."

"Weird? I don't care what people think, and I don't think you do either, so what's stopping you?"

"Because I will break you Olalla. I will use you up and take everything from you, not on purpose, I admit, but still. I take lovers that I don't care about and use them as pawns in my fight against humanity. I don't want that happening to you; I want you to step into my new world in one piece". Olalla could only look at her feet, jaw locked with dismay.

...

"I'd like my sister back please", she said finally.

"Fedora is in the Puzzlebox, a place where no man has ever escaped. I have no influence over her in there".

"See that's always the thing with you. Is it that you can't or that you don't want to?" She could feel her Hyde surfacing, but not out of anger or pain, just out of disappointment, and perhaps, embarrassment? Olalla could sense Semira hiding in the shadows; she knew she was going to strike at any given moment. "And I see you have your little pets scattered around. Surprised you didn't bring your Vetala".

"Who says I didn't?" he lilted, raising his eyebrows.

"See now this is your choice, Dance, are you killer or coward? You have the means of destroying me, so... are you?"

"Is this always going to be the same song we dance to Olalla? The lyrics change, but the melody stays the same".

"Killer or coward? Answer the question", she riposted, her voice raising.

"Temper of your mother", he commented quietly to himself, and then smiled. "Oh, I'm more than a killer, darling. But then again, you could call me a coward for keeping you alive all these years. You've made me... weak".

Silence rose among them. Olalla could hear Lily shouting at her, but she couldn't hear what she was saying. She guessed it was along the lines of "Throw the bloody knife". If she walked away now, they would never resurrect Bella, she would not be getting Robert back in a hurry. But if she attempted to kill Dance, well, bang goes twenty years of their relationship being... friendly. Could she really give up on a chance to get Robert back? She thought about how happy Maggie would be, to find her grandson in his lab again. That's when she made her choice. She threw the knife.