A Storm Brewing

Dally's POV:

I woke up at about 10, so I expected to find Katie at the foot of my bed trying to get on it. I looked down. No Katie. I just shrugged and went outside on the porch to smoke a cigarette. After about 2 puffs, I heard the spring door open.

I looked behind me. Of course it was Katie. "Wassup shorty?" I said as she approached me. She shrugged. "You okay?" I asked. She looked up at me. "I heard mama and her sister talking when we were walking down the trail. Mama said that when she gets married she's gonna have her baby. Is mama gonna have a baby?"
"I don't think so."
"What was she talking about then?"
"I don't know."

Katie just stared down at the ground. "I'm gonna go inside." I nodded. What did mom mean? After I finished my cigarette, I went inside. Katie was sitting on the couch. Her eyes glued to the TV.

I sat next to her and put my arm around her. She laid her head on my shoulder. "Katie, did mom say anything to you about you living with her?" Katie shook her head. "I don't think so." Maybe mom is pregnant.

I sat with Katie for awhile, until lunchtime rolled around. I told Katie to get her shoes on and that we were going to stop and get something at McDonald's on our way to the Curtis's.

We got to the house and we taught Katie how to play gin rummy. It was fun to watch her play it, because she took it very seriously. Darry got up and went into the kitchen. "Hey grab me a beer, Dare-bear!" Two-Bit yelled from the living room. We all raised an eyebrow at him.
"Only Katie is allowed to call me that." Darry said finally.

I thought it was cute how Katie gave us nicknames. Ponyboy is horseman, Soda is Pepsi cola, Darry is Dare-bear, Johnny is Johnnycake, Steve is Stephen, Two-Bit is drunk mouse, and I'm  Dallas Texas. I looked down at my phone. Mom texted me. She asked if Katie could come to her place. I told her no. She texted again. She said that Craig wants to meet her. I didn't text her back after that.

We stayed at the Curtis's for awhile. I looked at the clock. It was about 11:00. Katie was barely awake. She fought to keep her eyes open. "I'm going back to my place." I said getting off the couch. "Mind if I come too?" Johnny asked. I shook my head. "C'mon. Anyone else?" Steve and Two-Bit said that they'd come.

We finally got home and Katie was asleep. I tried to wake her up, but she looked like she was half awake. I carried her inside and to her room. I took off her shoes and covered her up with a blanket and left.

I went upstairs with the rest of the guys and texted mom.

Me: Why did you need to see Katie today?

Mom: Craig wants to see her.

Me: Can it not wait until your wedding?

Mom: Dallas it's been years since I've seen my baby, and I'd like to spend some time with her. She is all I got and she will not be torn away from me like she did years ago.
After that I didn't text her any more.

Two-Bit, Johnny, and Steve went downstairs to the guest bedrooms to sleep. I stayed up and watched TV. I almost fell asleep until I heard someone call my name. I looked over towards the stairs. Katie was standing there. "Hey babe." I said as she walked over to me. "Why aren't you in bed?"
"I had a nightmare."
"Aw. Wanna sleep with me in my room?" I rarely do this, but after that conversation I had with mom I felt a little bit more protective than I usually do. Katie nodded and followed me into my bedroom. I lifted her up onto the bed as I took off my shirt. When I turned back to Katie she was on my side of the bed. I smiled and moved her as I laid down. She laid her head on my shoulder. I rolled my eyes and wrapped one of my arms around her.

I woke up when I felt someone shaking me. It was Katie. "Katie, I'm awake. What is it?" I asked. "Someone texted you." She replied. I rolled my eyes. "You woke me up because someone texted me?"
"And because I'm hungry."
I just looked at Katie. She then laid her head on my chest and hugged my neck. "I love you Dally." She said in a cute voice. I smiled shaking my head. "Okay, get off me so I can make you something." She got up and walked into the kitchen. I grabbed my phone off the dining room table and gasped when I saw who was texting me. It was my old girlfriend from New York. When I moved, I still tried to keep in touch with her, and now she's saying that she moved here to Tulsa and she wants to meet up. I texted her my address and told her to come whenever.

I looked to the kitchen. Katie was in the cabinet that we keep sugar and sweet stuff in. "Katie!" I yelled making her jump. I smirked. "You're impatient, aren't you?"
"In the mornings. Now make food, please." She said grabbing my hand and trying to pull me in the kitchen. I smiled and got out some cereal. Katie sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. I heard my phone ring, so I called Katie to answer it. "Hi, mommy." I heard her say. 'Oh shit' I thought. "Hold on. Let me ask. Dally, mommy wants to know if I can go to her house today. Can I?" Katie asked me. I turned to her. "No, tell her we're busy." I said.
"Sorry mommy, but we're busy. I'll ask. What are we busy with, Dally?"
"We're going to see the guys." I said thinking of something quick. "We're gonna see his friends." Katie said. Her smile turned into a frown. "Oh, okay. I love you too. Bye." She set my phone down.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
"Mommy said that I need to spend more time with her and not you and your hood friends. She said that her and daddy miss me. She said that I'm not allowed to be around daddy, and that she'll change that. And to not tell you this."
I watched as Katie looked down at the floor and cried a little. "I don't wanna see daddy. He's mean and he'll beat me." I bent down to her level. I held my arms out as she looked up at me. She ran into them and cried into my shoulder. "Don't let mommy take me to see daddy, Dally. Don't let 'em get me."
"I won't let them get you. If they do, I'll spend the rest of my days trying to find you. I promise." I said rubbing her back.