The Perfect Chapter

So now you've drawn your potential readers in with your perfect title, cover and summary. It's finally time to show them what you've got.

 Writing your first prologue and/or chapter can be tough. You may have the perfect plot figured out but writing the perfect opening sentence is difficult yet crucial. This can set the mood for the whole book.

If you're stuck for how to write your opening sentence try looking around at some of your favourite books and use them for inspiration and inspiration only i.e. don't copy!!

Remember when using description that we have five senses, don't just use visual description. You could write about what your MC can hear or smell. Don't limit yourself to just visual description. Paint a picture with your words, don't be afraid to use similes, metaphors and vivid imagery to capture your readers interest.

Take notice of the pace of your chapters. For example, has your MC met and kissed her love interest by the end of the first chapter? If so, is there anyway you could stretch the meeting out for a bit longer? Let your readers get to know your MC before introducing the main love interest.

Your chapter should be about 5-10 pages in Microsoft Word give or take.

Your story should be roughly 20 chapters long minimum and 50 maximum. If your story exceeds 50 chapters then consider turning your story into a series. Unless of course you're writing a short story.