two

killian martinez

I got out of my car, opening the side gate of Dre's house. Walking into his backyard, I waved at his family seated for a meal before going down the steps to the basement. He has the entire basement to himself which has been nice.

"Hurry. I gotta count all this then bring it to Junior," Dre opened the door sounding more on edge than usual. He has every reason to be on edge. On top of basketball practices which takes up a majority of our free time and having to maintain a 3.0, he has to worry about dealing with Junior.

I think he likes it. Junior never forced him to get into selling drugs. He offered him protection with or without selling—the same thing he's always given me. But Dre wanted more. He wanted something that made him feel powerful and in control. Dealing means he provides for his family which is just a side bonus for him.

"I told you I'm not doing that shit, Dre," I shook my head, getting seated on his couch. His entire coffee table was full of cash.

Dre doesn't have much to lose by being affiliated. Apart from basketball, he has no commitments or ties. I do. My family has never cared much about my friendship with Dre and Junior. But if they found out I was dealing, it would be lectures on lectures about how I'm a stain on the family name and how they've given me everything and there was no need for me to start dealing. That's not a lie. I don't have a reason to do it other than I'm just as power hungry and curious as Dre.

"You're not doing anything but counting. It's practically nothing," he gave me the same argument he makes every time. But I came here to chill. My place has been a chaotic mess lately. It's always like this at the beginning of the school year.

"Dre, seriously. I-"

"Hold on. Isabelle is calling me. I need stacks of $1000," he informed me as he walked away. "Hey baby, what's up?"

He never listens and I always some how cave in. It starts off by him making me count then me helping him package shit. He doesn't understand what no is and it's not just with me. It's with Isabelle too and it pisses me off. He's liked her since Junior was graduating elementary school while his sister was entering the third grade. He wanted Dre to look after her and he took the role too seriously by falling in love with her. She's never stopped rejecting him and he's never lost hope.

"Fuck. She needs to borrow my printer and needs me to take her to some book store but I gotta get this shit done," Dre came back. A light had gone off in my head as I stood up.

"I'll get it to her and I'll take her," I offered. I had all year to complete this challenge, but the sooner I started the better because I could rack in more points.

"Thanks." I went into his room where the printer sat on the floor. "You know where the key is. Just go in," he informed me. I nodded, carrying this with me to the car.

Junior moved out of his mother's place as soon as he turned 18. He had been dealing for a while. He bought a house and it was great because while Dre and I were still 16 and in high school, Junior let us throw parties there. But now that Isabelle just graduated high school, she moved in with him which means there won't be nearly as many parties.

When I arrived at the house, I searched the bush for the small turtle statue. There was a key taped under that I used to unlock the door then put the key back.

"Bell," I called out and gained no response. "Isabelle," I walked further into the house after removing my shoes. It was a two story home with a basement. There's only three bedrooms and I assumed which one was beds.

I slowly pushed her bedroom door open. The smell of strawberries and vanilla filled my noise and it felt like I was in heaven. Her room was white. From the sheets and headboard to the furniture in the room. There were accents of pink here and there, but it was pastel. I never put much thought into what her favourite colour could be, but I never thought pink. She seemed like more of a green girl.