twelve

killian martinez

The line between me doing stuff because of the challenge and because I genuinely just wanted to make her happy was becoming blurred. Blurred to the point where I contemplated just dropping out of the challenge and letting one of the others have the stupid bedroom. But then I thought about what they may think and the names they'd call me. I've heard how they shit talk the guys who fell in love with their challenges and I don't think I could live in a house where everyone thinks I'm whipped.

It's not far from the truth, but it's something I would rather not admit out loud. Like tonight instead of attending a post game party, I'll be sitting at a dinner table with my family and Isabelle. I wasn't going to miss out on much. I would rather spend my night with her anyways.

"Are you coming to Ethan's birthday party next week?" Connor asked while I filled my bottle with water. He knew the answer but wanted to hear me say it out loud and it pissed me off.

"No."

We walked outside the house to my car where we loaded our bags into the trunk. We were still waiting for two of the guys before we could leave for our game.

"Did she say no or something?" Connor got into the passenger seat. I sighed.

I didn't need to ask Isabelle if I'm allowed to go to my best friend's birthday party at the strip club. Not only because I don't need her permission, but because I know what her answer would be. She would let me go despite how hurt she'd be that I went and I can't hurt her like that. Even though she's busy that night, I would rather spend my night catching up on sleep than spend it watching half naked women.

"It doesn't matter why I'm not going," I mumbled before Dre and another teammate got into the car. I hadn't checked the backseat and I should've done so.

"I think Isabelle left her stupid book back here," Dre moved it out of his way to sit.

"It's not Bell's, it's mine. And it's not stupid. The author is actually an amazing novelist," I spat out without even thinking of my words. I saw her reading the book so I bought one too. I never used to enjoy reading. But reading with her is like a mini book club and it's fun with her. We lay on the beach together and read in the sun. I never thought I would've found something like that as fun.

"And this blanket is yours too huh?" Dre smirked, knowing his answer before even asking it. I gave him a disapproving look through the rear view mirror. The last time I'm driving these assholes.

When we got to the court, we warmed up and slowly watched the stands fill. I knew my parents were here because my mother came down to wish me luck. But I kept subconsciously looking for Isabelle the entire time we were warming up. She was supposed to be here. She makes an effort to come to all my games, even if Thursdays are her busiest days.

Moments before the game was set to begin, I saw Isabelle walk on the side of the court. Looking at her made my balls swell. She was wearing my jersey. She had on a hoodie under the jersey and basketball shorts and my fucking jersey. If I told her how pretty she looked she wouldn't believe me because the amount of compliments I gave her has gotten out of hand. Her hair was no longer in braids and her natural hair was out in two pigtails that looked like puffs. Fuck.

"Hi. Sorry I'm late. But I made you granola and oatmeal protein bites for after the game," Isabelle handed me a clear plastic with the granola inside. She wrapped it in ribbon and made a bow. It was the simplest and kindest gesture that made me realize I don't fucking deserve her because whether I tell her about the challenge or I don't, she's going to be really fucking hurt. Maybe I was selfish, but loving me and not knowing the truth felt better than her knowing and hating me forever. She'll never forgive me if I tell her.