six

isabelle langa

"I just don't understand how my father could be living less than two hours away and you never bothered to tell me," I walked around the kitchen, attempting to get ready for my day. My mother had come to drop off bread that she baked and I thought now would be the time to ask her about Jeremiah.

It wasn't until I forced it out of Junior that he told me the truth about Jeremiah. The truth that he's the father I always asked about because there remained a consistent void in my life that I hoped would be filled with his presence. My entire life I've been lied to by my family. Not only is my father two hours away, but Junior has had a relationship with him this entire time. It was unfair and no excuse that he gave me made sense.

"Isabelle, our divorce was terrible. We-"

"You told me he was abusive," I cut her off before she sighed. I was angry that my mother could keep me away from a man who seems far from abusive. My mother worked hard, but at times it wasn't enough and that is probably why Junior even started dealing.

"He cheated on me," she spoke like it tore her apart. I stopped my movements to look at her.

"He cheated on you?" I asked in disbelief. I understood the emotional distress getting cheated on causes you. But making me suffer the consequences of his actions?

"I found out that he had an entire other family. After Junior was born he started dating his assistant and he got her pregnant. I didn't even find out he had twins with the woman until I was pregnant with you. So I left him and believe me when I say it was hard. Jeremiah has money and whatever life those kids have could've been yours too. But I was selfish and hurt and wanted no parts with him because I was worried you'd choose him over me," my mother was crying. She was pouring out all this emotion while tears fled down her face. Despite how upset I was, I empathized for her. I emphasized for the position she must've been put in. I brought her into my embrace and hugged her. "I'm sorry I kept him from you."

"I'm sorry that happened to you." I can't imagine your whole relationship being a lie. And although I wish I could've known about him, I understand why she never told me. "If you don't want me to talk to him, I won't. You know I'm always on your side, mom."

I might've needed him when I was a child, but now my eagerness to get to know him was gone. If it made her uncomfortable, I didn't see me not talking to him as a loss on my end.

She shook her head as she pulled away from the hug. "No. I want you to get to know him. You have every right to get to know him. What happened was 19 years ago," she gave me a strong smile. I wiped her tears away. "I can take you to your coffee date if you'd like. It's on the way."

"That would be great. Thank you," I smiled. I finished gathering all my things and we left the house.

"So, Killian arranged this?" If I didn't know any better, I would say she was smirking at me. "Since when do you guys talk?" I didn't like what she was insinuating.

"We don't talk. He just moved from someone I strongly dislike to acquaintance," I put my seatbelt on then looked at the address on my phone. My words were true. Killian and I aren't friends. We just happen to continuously coincidentally keep being put in situations where we have to interact. "And it's just a birthday gift."

"He could've gotten you a card."

"Why are you looking so into this? Besides, I would never date any one of Junior's friends. I'm not interested in having a drug dealer for a boyfriend." Despite that statement being true, technically Killian doesn't deal. But he hangs out with them which is guilty by association in my books.

-

killian martinez

I watched the ball enter the hoop, applauding myself for the shot. Playing ball for the school means rarely having time to play just for fun. So when given the opportunity to play with the boys, I never give it up.