fourteen

isabelle langa

The match was far from small.

It was being held at some warehouse building that had a complete boxing ring. Bleachers were set up. There was food stands and a DJ who played music while we waited for things to begin. There were originally eight of them but at the last minute two decided to drop out. For Killian to win, he would have to win two different matches. I don't keep up with boxing, but that seemed near to impossible.

This was the last place I wanted to be. But Trinity was eager to come here because I seemed to be her gateway into university events which I didn't mind. I had convinced myself that the only reason I was here was to play matchmaker with her and Dre. If I had to pay the $50 entrance fee, I would've turned right around. But thankfully Junior was kind enough to do that for me.

"My brother should be here already," I glanced down at my phone. The bleachers were becoming packed and so was the floor around the boxing ring.

"Maybe I should attend university. Is this what all the men look like?" Trinity led the way to where we could get popcorn. I wasn't sure how she could possibly think about food when all I could think about was Killian getting his face smashed in. Just the thought of that made me sick to my stomach.

"Trust me, these are not the guys in my chemistry or biology classes. I have never seen half these guys in my life." That's expected considering how big the school is.

She paid for popcorn then we climbed up the bleachers to find a seat. I looked up, seeing my brother and his friends coming down these industrial stairs of the warehouse. I waved my arm to grab their attention. Mostly because I wanted to ask where they were or if they knew how Killian was doing. Was he nervous? He never gets nervous for his basketball games but this was different. But when they sat beside us I didn't bother asking.

My pride was keeping me from asking Junior about how Killian was. Ever since he told me he was doing this, I hadn't been shy in expressing my disapproval. There were so many terrible things that could happen and it angered me that he wasn't seeing them. I even told him I wasn't coming. I thought I wouldn't be able to step foot in this place, yet here I was.

"He's second to box," Junior leaned to tell me. I scrunched my eyebrows. I didn't ask him. "I know you're just too pussy to ask. So, you're welcome."

Crossing my arms, we listened to the umpire announce the first match. The entire time I contemplated going up to see him. I was forced to put my pride to the side when I realized he would be doing this regardless of how I felt and the least I could do was wish him luck.

Stepping down from the bleacher, I followed the same path my brother and his friends took. I went up the stairs and down a hall. The rooms were meant to be offices but were being used as locker rooms for the guys boxing. There were a few guys inside either half naked or changing. Killian was amongst them and he had already changed into boxing shorts. He seemed to be in the middle of wrapping his hands with tape. I went over to him and took the tape from him to help.

"I thought you weren't coming," Killian spoke up while he looked down at me. He was excited to have me here but I was quick to burst his bubble.

"Well, I'm not staying," I finished with one hand then worked on the other one.

"You're still mad," he concluded with a sigh. "I need you here with me. You're my lucky charm, Bell," his free hand went to the lobe of my ear to play with. I could hear the desperation in his voice.

"I don't support this at all and I'm not going to watch you fight and pretend like I do," I didn't mean to spit out the truth because I knew I would sound like a dick. But it was exactly that—the truth. I wanted to support everything Killian does, but this was the one thing I couldn't support him on. Even if all the money was going to charity.