twenty

isabelle langa

The lecture was a lot more boring than usual. Time was going by slow and I was slowly falling asleep, something I haven't gotten much of lately.

Junior was catching on to my avoidance. He was texting me a lot more than often and insisted I come back home. I wondered if it was because he knew and was waiting for me to say something. At first I wanted to. I wanted to tell me because I wanted Killian to hurt just as much as I do and I know Junior's friends wouldn't be merciful. But then I saw him and saw that he was hurting. I think deep down I knew that he was sorry, but I just didn't know what the right thing to do was.

Feeling my phone buzz, I pulled out my phone from my pocket and sighed when I saw who was texting me.

olivia: hi isabelle! it's me olivia

isabelle: hey liv, what's up?

olivia: i haven't seen you in forever and i really miss you but that's okay because i know you are busy. that's what killian says when he comes to dinner without you

It's been almost two months now and he still hadn't told his family that we were not together.

olivia: my soccer team is having our final game today. can you please come?? it's okay if you're busy

I moved my hair behind my shoulder. All I could think about was how I promised her that no matter what happened with Killian and I, we would still be friends. But I wish I had known that things would end the way they did. I also wish Killian would be honest with his family because I was now in the most uncomfortable position. Was I supposed to be the one to tell them we broke up?

isabelle: sure. get your mom to send me the address and i'll be there :)

I shook my head and listened to the rest of the lecture. I was now even more distracted than usual and all I could think about is how awkward today would be. But I promised her.

Class finished and I was making my way to my car when Ian approached me. I attempted to keep walking but he stopped me. My throat tightened, worried about what he had to say to me.

It wouldn't be the first time Killian's friends angrily approached me to express their concerns about Killian and I's breakup. Not to tell me how sorry he was, but to tell me how I ruined everything and was nothing but a distraction for Killian. They spoke to me about how I somehow ruined him but he was the one who did the ruining. Yet I'm to blame for Killian's poor performance costing us our basketball games.

Of all his friends, Ian had never approached me. All the guys in the house were kind when I lived with them. At least they pretended to be for Killian's sake. But now they reminded me that they were his friends and not mine and chose to basically all spit in my face. All but Ian.

"How are you?" Ian asked and I adjusted my bag on my shoulder. It was the first any of his friends had asked me that question.

"I'm good," I lied, knowing Ian wasn't someone to confide in. He was Killian's friend and I had every reason to assume he'd report back to Killian.

"He misses you," he wasn't telling me anything I didn't know. "He's really sorry."

"Did he send you to tell me this?" I looked at the ground.

He chuckled. "No. He would kill me if he knew I was even talking to you. I'm not going to beg you to forgive him because that's none of my business. I don't fully understand how you and Kill worked, but I know what you guys had was real and you must be hurt," he sighed, running his hand through his hair. "We have an important game tomorrow night. If we lose, we're out for good and the weight would crush Kill alive. We can't lose. If we lose, we don't go to the playoffs."