FIVE

"SODA

"SODA..... I DON'T KNOW what to say." She stumbled over her words.

He kept giving her that big toothy grin. "I'm sorry, Soda, I can't do this. Come with me real quick."

She dragged Soda outside and we all glanced at each other. This was literally the only time this house was that silent. There's always something making a racket at the Curtis's house.

We all waited in the living room for what seemed like an hour until we heard something that sounded like crying. I let go of my grip on Dally and ran outside the house.

There was Soda in a heaping mess. I squatted down in front of him and just hugged him. I know he didn't need any words of comfort right now, he just wanted to be hugged. It reminded me of when we were in kindergarten and he scraped his knee.

Of course, scraping your knee isn't as bad as getting rejected while asking the person you love to marry them, but it still took me back.

I let go of our hug and sighed. "You wanna go to the Dingo and Jay's and you tell me about this?"

He nodded, but then grabbed my arm. "The park."

I smiled and helped him up, walking towards the park. The park is Soda and I's special hangout spot just for us. Ever since we were little, we have always sat and swung on the swings just to talk.

When we arrived, we sat on the same swings we always do, and I waited patiently for him to tell me.

"Sh-she told me that-" he stopped and took a deep breath. "She told me that she's been cheating on me with a Soc. All this time she told me she was with her friends and all the other times she rejected hanging out with me, she was with him. I loved her so much and then..." He started crying again and I started playing with his tuff hair.

That always calmed him down. It didn't surprise me what Sandy had said. I kind of knew it all along, but Soda never would've believed me.

"You know, Blue, you're the only girl that's been there and has actually stayed. The only one." He sighed, "I took you for granted."

I grinned. "Oh shut up and stop getting all mushy on me. Now, let's go back with the guys."

He got up and yelled. "Race ya!"

"In your dreams, Curtis!" I screamed and ran past him.

When we got to the house, he was gasping. "Dang, you are one fast runner. You and Pony."

"Well, did you really think you could outrun a person who does track and basketball?" I put my hands on my hips and raised an eyebrow at him.

When we walked inside, everyone raised an eyebrow at us. "You wanna tell em what happened, Soda?" I questioned while reaching into the fridge to get a bottle of water.

Soda told them what he told me and everyone was as pissed as Two-Bit when he doesn't have any beer to drink.

"Saw it coming." Dally shook his head.

"Mhm mhm mhm. What a liar." Pony shook his head, making me chuckle.

Johnny stayed quiet as he usually does. I smiled at him and sat next to him. "What's up, Jo?" I asked and gave him a hug.

"It's my parents. They're fighting again." He sighed and looked down at the floor.

"I told him one day I'm going to go over there and beat their asses and maybe they'll get a taste of what it feels like to be beaten." Dally seethed from behind me.

I looked back at Johnny and frowned. "I think I got just the thing to cheer you and Soda up."

//

WHEN WE ARRIVED at the movies, we all sat in our seats and started to watch the movie that was playing.

I was in the front row sitting in between Soda and Steve. Ponyboy, Dally, and Johnny were sitting behind us, and Darry and Two-Bit were going to sit in the same row as them, but they went to the concession stand first.

Soda leaned in and whispered. "What movie is it?"

"A scary one I think." I whispered back, knowing deep down I knew what kind of movie it was.

Yes, it was a scary one, but it was a scary movie with clowns in it. My worst fear. I can fight Soc's, walk around at night by myself, but the one thing that scares the absolute hell out of me is clowns.

Everyone knows it, but they don't know that this is what the movie is about. Soda and Johnny loved scary movies, so I wanted to cheer them up.

Darry and Two-Bit came back with the snacks and drinks and we all got settled to watch the movie. A clown jumped out of nowhere and I screamed, burying my face into Soda's jacket.

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around me. "Why didn't you tell us it was a scary movie with clowns in it?"

"Because I wanted to cheer you and Jo up." My voice came out muffled because my face was still in his jacket.

"Aw, S, you didn't have to do that for us." Johnny's faint voice came from behind me.

I grinned inside Soda's jacket. "I love you, Jo. I'd do anything for you."

I lifted my face out of Soda's jacket and he started pouting. "What about me? You don't love me?"

I rolled my eyes. "Obviously not."

He put his hand to his heart, pretending to be shot which made me giggle.

"Alright you two lovebirds, quiet down so we can enjoy the movie." Dally huffed while putting his feet on the back of my chair.

I could feel my face getting red. Luckily, I was in the dark. I grabbed my popcorn and threw it at Dally. "You never shut your mouth do you, Dal?" I questioned, flipping him off which made the guys laugh.

"You never stop flirting with Soda, do you, Skylar?" He mocked me.

"Whatever." I snapped.

I got tired of Dallas and stood up, walking over to the concession stand and just sat on the little bench beside it. I saw a figure walking towards me and saw that it was Soda. I took a deep breath and looked away.

He sat beside me and looked at me. "Dally didn't mean it, Blue."

I shrugged my shoulders. "Whatever."

"I'm serious." He replied. "Even if you do flirt with me, I don't mind." He started smiling at me and I chuckled. "Seems like you're flirting with me, Soda."

"Me? Never!" He replied in a sarcastic voice.

I grinned and we walked back and left the drive-in, with the other guys behind us. Steve caught up to us and smirked. I punched him in the shoulder and he started laughing.

"Skye, you should come visit us at the DX tomorrow." Steve announced.

"I always do, I don't know why you asked me." I laughed while kicking a small pebble.

"See you tomorrow, Blue." Soda grinned. "Oh, and thanks. You really made my day a hundred times better."

"No problem. What are friends for?" I smiled, entering my house.

I'll never get out of the friend zone.