THIRTY

LUCAS AND HIS buddies drove off, them attacking him with questions like, 'why didn't you do anything to that Greaser?' and 'what did you two talk about?'

I chuckled to myself and hopped off the monkey bars. I started walking home and ran into the very last person in the world I'd like to see. A truck came to a slow stop beside me. Soda wasn't the one talking to me, but it didn't matter. He was still inside the truck.

"You okay, Skye? You shouldn't be out here walking by yourself." Steve asked, his face full of concern.

I had a devilish grin on my face. "No, actually, Lucas and I had a nice chat. No punches thrown or anything."

Steve's jaw dropped and I could sense Soda in the passenger seat furrowing his eyebrows. "About what?" Steve questioned.

I leaned my head in the window and looked straight at Soda - who looked like he hasn't gotten any sleep whatsoever - "The nicknames I used to call him and all the 'ha-hurrrs."

Steve didn't know what I was talking about, but oh, Soda, did. That's the whole reason I did it.

Soda rolled his eyes and stared off in the opposite direction while grunting. Steve looked as confused as ever. "Just come by my house tonight and I'll tell ya." I winked at Soda and continued walking towards my house.

I opened the door and found Johnny, Pony, and Bent all three playing on the couch. Their heads popped up when they saw me, and Johnny ran up and gave me a hug, while Bent greeted me by jumping up and down and making scratches all down my legs. I picked him up and ruffled his fur. "Who missed Mommy?" I cooed.

I got a reply with a lick to the face.

I sat down on the couch in between Pony and Johnny and Bent sat on my lap. Johnny turned to me. "So, it looks like you're all better."

I gave them a devilish grin and told them all about Lucas and I's past and the encounter with him today. Ponyboy and Johnny were so interested in everything I said they literally made me stop so they could fix popcorn.

When I finished, both of their eyes got wide. "You know what this means?" Pony announced, jumping up and down.

Johnny smirked and finished his sentence. "Make Soda jealous operation starts NOW."

Just then, Steve came in and I groaned, realizing I have to repeat everything I just said to him. He pulled over my little bean bag and got comfy while I went over everything I said again. Once I finished, Steve put his hands in the air all excited. "I think your plan is already working just by what you mentioned in the truck."

I tilted my head. "What do you mean?"

He scoffed, "I mean when you left, Soda was pissed. When I tried asking him about it all he said was, I don't wanna talk about it."

I grinned and sighed. "The problem is though, is that Lucas is still dating Sandy. Sandy would try to kill me even more if I went after her "boyfriend."

"But she went after your boyfriend, didn't she?" Johnny asked, confused.

I gasped and hugged Johnny tight. "You're a genius, Jo!"

I smirked. "You all know what I said about karma? Well, it's about to slap Sandy in the face. And hard."

//

EVERYONE LEFT UNTIL it was just Pony and me. He stayed so we could watch the sunset again. We climbed out onto my roof and clinked our bottles of coke while taking a drink. It was not only a clear view of the sunset, but it was also a clear view of the Curtis's house and what I saw made me spit out my coke. Pony dropped his glass. Sandy was two-timing Lucas by kissing Soda!

"Usually, I would've been upset, but this is payback time!" I whisper-shouted and ran inside to get my polaroid. I tried to get as close as I could without falling off the roof and snapped a picture. Soda and Sandy quickly looked over and Pony and I literally crashed into my bedroom. I was breaking his fall and I felt my ribs crush.

"Pony, if you don't get off of me, I'll crush your ribs like you're crushing mine!" I grunted and Ponyboy hopped off while laughing.

The picture developed and when Pony and I saw it we busted out into fits of laughter. "Lucas is going to love to see this." I giggled.

"Operation J is in motion!" Pony shouted, using our code name for the operation so nobody would know.

//

ONCE PONY LEFT, I ran to the phone and dialed Lucas's number. Don't even ask why I have it.

"Hello?" He picked up the phone.
"Hey, Huckleberry." I greeted while smiling.
"And why is Win sounding so mischievous?"
"Come to my house and you'll find out."

Lucas knocked on my door and I pulled him in. "You and Sandy are still dating, right?" I questioned, crossing my arms.

"Umm yeah, why?" He questioned.

I handed him the picture and he shook his head as he clenched his jaw. "That little two-timing..."

"Hoe?" I finished his sentence and he started laughing.

"Looks like Lucas is back on the market!" He shouted while walking towards my door. He turned back towards me and gave me a grin.

"Hey, Win."

"Hey, what?"

"Meet me at the Dingo and Jay's at seven tomorrow night."

And with that he walked out the door.

Operation J is working faster than I thought.