SIXTEEN

MAY 26, 1982

MAY 26, 1982

"We're graduating, Sarah." My thirteen-year-old self spoke excitedly.

"Yeah, we are, Skylar." She replied, jumping up and down.

"We're going to officially be teenagers. We're going to be freshmen." I sighed while peeping out of the curtain, seeing thousands of people.

Parents, siblings, family, and friends were all outside waiting for us to come out and give them hugs.

I turned to Sarah. "I hope my dad is out there."

She put her hand on my shoulder. "He's out there, Skylar. Trust me. He wouldn't miss this for the world."

I gave her a light smile. "I don't know though. He'll be busy at the hospital, so I'm not going to expect him to be there in the crowd."

She embraced me into a hug. "Hey, cheer up. Even if your dad is not out there, your mom is going to be walking right beside you the whole way. She'd be proud of you, Skylar. Plus, I bet Dally is out there waiting for you."

I grinned. "You know, you're the best."

She flipped her hair. "I know."

We started giggling and got in line to get ready to walk out and receive our diplomas. "Skylar Winston." The announcer spoke.

I walked out and collected my diploma. People clapping was all I could hear. I glanced out into the crowd to find Dally, Johnny, Darry, Soda's parents, but no dad. He wasn't here.

I walked over to them and they all pulled me into one big group hug. "Oh, congratulations sweetie!" Soda's mom, Eagan, spoke cheerfully.

I looked at Dally and tears started streaming down my eyes. "Daddy didn't come, did he?"

Dally frowned and got down on one knee. "I'm sorry, Skye. You know he's busy at work. I'm sure he tried to make it."

"Did I miss anything?" A voice yelled.

We all looked up and found my dad running towards us. When he saw my wet face he immediately closed his eyes and sighed. He walked over to me and bent down to where he was eye level with me.

"Pumpkin, I'm so so sorry. I was stuck in surgery. I tried to do it as fast as I could."

I hugged him tight and didn't want to let go, but I did. Sarah and Soda came over in their graduation caps and gowns. Sarah looked at me and smiled, "See, I told you he'd make it even if he was just a little late." I rolled my eyes and hugged her.

I looked at Soda and jumped into his arms. "SODA, WE'RE FRESHMEN!"

"YES!" Soda laughed and carried me bridal style.