Getting to Safety

Rachel's P.O.V

I keep my eyes glued to the section of the forest where the Titans are coming from.  How are there so many?!  Only Fable has recounted a tale with this many, and that was when–

"Where are they coming from?! It sounds like they're surrounding us!" In answer to the officer's comment, I slowly raise my arm and point in the direction that answers his inquiry.  Though many Titans emerged from the forest, I used my enhanced hearing to locate the source– of not only the thundering footsteps shaking the earth, but also a different sound.

"That is where they're coming from, and it seems as though someone– or something– is commanding them." I look over at Erwin with a knowing expression before stretching out my wings and launching myself to a higher branch, requesting the others do so as well. Hanji squeals in delight as the first few Titans come into view.  The Titans begin to swarm the base of the trees, staring up at us with empty, soulless eyes.  The smallest monsters claw at the bark, mouths hanging open to reveal enormous human teeth.  The larger Titans– namely Abnormals– gnash their teeth, leaping up from the ground in sporadic periods in failed attempts to find a way up to us.

"OOOHHH! How exciting!!" I look at the brunette and slowly take a step away from her.  How can she not be panicking in this situation?!

"Has she finally lost her mind or is she always like this?" I direct my question at Levi, who simply roll/ his eyes and tsks.

"Shit-Glasses lost it a long time ago. I'm surprised she hasn't been eaten yet." Hanji suddenly appears on the branch right next to Levi, and hugs the shorty as she shouts over the thundering noise,

"Aww! I'm only alive because you care so much~!"  She earns a hit on her head from Levi. I chuckle, when suddenly a deep, loud roar echoes throughout the trees, one that surprisingly seems very familiar...

   And just after that roar, I notice the forest has gone eerily silent. I narrow my eyes as the Titans that I can see stop, and seem to look around in confusion before retreating back in different directions.  It's as if... as if they forgot about all the humans in the trees.  The roar seems to have countered whatever was controlling the Titans before.  Thoroughly confused, I call softly,

"Everyone, stay in the trees! I'm going to see what is happening..." I flap my wings once, the powerful stroke lifting me into the air before there can be any complaint. Descending slowly, I listen carefully to my surroundings, checking for any signs of the Titans. I keep my wings outstretched as I quietly land on the ground, and strain my ears. Eventually, I hear footsteps, but not Titan footfalls; the racing creature making the noise seemed to be human.

As the footsteps become louder, I ready myself for a fight if necessary. I growl as a figure appears from out of the depths of the forest, clothed in a green cloak that reaches just down to their ankles, and that covers their face in shadows.

"Who are you?" My call is firm and steady, and I can faintly hear the humans above preparing their Maneuvering Gear.  However, the figure in front of me stands tall and proud, and I grow confused and wary as they don't even flinch at the sight of my wings.  Could they be a spy?

"... Rachel?" My wings instantly drop from their defensive position. I recognize that voice...

My eyes widen in recognition.

"Fable?"

Narrator

The new figure slips the hood off her head to reveal a girl with coal black hair that falls to her waistline and long bangs that cover her keen eyes.

"Fable!" Rachel moves forward to hug her friend, receiving the same amount of affection when she comes in contact with her companion. Laughing with joy, the winged girl scans her friend up and down, before remembering her new companions up in the trees. Stepping back, she calls, "Erwin! It is alright to come down now!" The blond is seemingly hesitant at first, but leads the rest of them down to the ground via their 3DMG.

Once they spot Fable however, the group members get into fighting stances, earning a laugh from Rachel.  Her wings curl and unfurl periodically, and even though the Survey Corps soldiers can't tell, Rachel is unconsciously doing it out of pure joy.

"It's okay, everyone. This is Fable– Fable, meet my new companions who helped me when I had broken one of my wings." The girl can feel Fable's glare on her as she forces Rachel to her knees, beginning to inspect both her feathered appendages.

"I told you to be more careful! Which was it?" Fable's statement leaves no room for complaint, and the blonde girl wordlessly twitches her left wing in response as she mutters,

"It wasn't my fault..." Fable glares at her friend.

"Then whose was it?" The Survey Corps watch the interaction between the two with interest, surprised at how open Rachel is being. Said girl's eyes light up before she shakes Fable off her wings and stands up, turning to face her friend.

"That's actually why I was hoping to find you. Have you noticed anything off in the forest recently?"

"Besides the horde of Titans that had to be stopped before they killed all of you? Yes, there's been a recent series of happenings in my home as of late." Rachel nods, and shoots an apologetic look at Erwin before continuing.

"And do any of these events have to do with a Female Titan?" Fable folds her hands in front of her chest, nodding her head in conformation.  Rachel nods grimly as Fable answers her question, her hair swaying in the slight breeze that rustles through the forest.  The soldiers shift uneasily as the shadows seems to lengthen, the forest taking on an ominous ambiance.

"Indeed. She's been causing havoc every time she comes here– and I've had enough of it. But no matter how many times she is beaten to a pulp, she won't stop coming here." Armin cuts in to their conversation.

"What do you mean, beaten?" Fable glances at Armin and then back at Rachel, who shakes her head lightly, hoping the Survey Corps members don't notice.  A silent agreement passes between the two girls, though Levi and Armin are the only ones who seem to notice a change in Fable's aura.

"The Guardian, of course. She protects this forest, and I've seen her leave the Female on the brink of death just to be considerate on many occasions." Fable shakes her head, a few strands of silky black hair flowing free of the cloak's hood. "But no matter what happens, the blonde menace keeps coming back."

"Why doesn't this so called 'Guardian' just kill the damn pest?" Levi's irritation is clearly expressed in his words. Fable glances at him, impressed by the intuitive question.

"It is a code she has. 'Never kill unless absolutely necessary.' She follows this code– except when it comes to Titans. Since the Female Titan has a human inside, she can't kill her unless a catastrophic event occurs." Armin nods, understanding while Eren seems enraged by Fable's words.

"This Guardian thing can make an exception for an enemy, can't it?!"  Eren suddenly shivers, feeling the piercing eyes of the girl on him right through her bangs.  The brunette subconsciously steps back, intimidated by her abrupt anger.

   "Watch it.  The Guardian is a respectable being who protects this forest– the place she calls home.  And don't ever call her an 'it' again."  A chill runs down Eren's spine at the coldness of Fable's words.  He lowers his head, confused yet quietly accepting of the shame that washes over him.  Rachel shoots Eren a glance that says, "Don't push it."  The girl then carefully tucks her wings, and turns toward her old friend.

   "Listen, Fable, we need your help.  Our horses have run off, the rest of the formation is who-knows-where, and we'll need to at least try and search for the wagon of supplies that was lost in the chaos.  Will you be willing to help us?"  Fable stares at the girl with determination shining in her eyes and chuckles, relenting to Rachel's request.

   "Anything for an old friend.  Let's get started."