The Calm Before the Storm

Rachel's P.O.V

Things have been awfully quiet lately...  This thought is constantly on my mind as I continue my flying practice. The last time the Recon Corps had set out on an Expedition, they were ambushed by a new enemy; the Male Titan.

Said enemy's Titan form is only four meters tall, implying that the Shifter favors speed and stealth over power. In addition, the Titan's hands are topped by poisoned-covered tree branches.  These people really are violent...  The enemy Titan slashed Hanji with complete intent on killing her. Although I have tried to think of anyone I have seen who possesses that build and those eyes, my mind can't ever come up with a probable candidate.  For all the Recon Corps knows, the aggressor could possibly be a farmer along the farther outreaches of the wall.

   Armin and Eren would come and watch my practices, which are improving day by day.  It certainly is a rough experience with the added weight to my wings, but I know I will manage all right if I take the rehabilitation process at a moderate pace. I'm glad that my healing attempt at least succeeded this time. The previous cost me a slight price, but I wasn't even able to save a life, back then.

   So far, two full weeks have passed since the last incident, and the Survey Corps soldiers are letting their guard down.  I have warned them of the consequences of being lazy on the job, but they always reply with the excuse that they have enough time to relax before the next attack.

   Unfortunately, fate has other plans in store for humanity.

~~~~

   "Armin, Eren, what is it?"  The two boys are uncharacteristically quiet as we walk through the forest back to the base.  The path we travel is slightly worn by our footsteps, and it feels a little childish, I think bashfully, to know about a secret path shared between friends.  The only others I've felt this way with were Lucy and Jack, if I remember correctly.  It brings back good memories.  The silence is an old friend to me, but it is unsettling that the two teenagers are not as energetic as they usually are.  The blond boy is the first to speak up.

   "Well... there's been some problems with the Military Police lately."  He replies slowly, and Eren's shoulders tense as he lowers his head, allowing his bangs to cover his eyes.  "They're blaming Eren for the failure of the last Expedition, and the Court has decided to hold another case to decide his fate.  The reason it's taken so long is because Erwin has been fighting to keep him a member of the Survey Corps as an asset to humanity. But, I'm afraid this time the judge will hand custody of Eren over to the Military Police."  My eyes widen in disbelief.

   "What?!  One human has no right to decide the fate of a boy who could very possibly save humanity!"  I calm myself down a bit before continuing, "If the Military Police gain custody of Eren, then that could spell disaster for everyone.  Do Erwin and Levi have a plan?"  Armin opens his mouth to reply before Eren cuts in, his voice filling with rage but barely audible as a whisper.

   "What could they possibly do?  There's nothing to do!  The Military Police are lazy, manipulative bastards who only care about themselves!"  I gently set a hand on his shoulder.  We stop, still a ways from headquarters, and I lock gazes with him.  I see fear, contempt, and anger deep in his teal irises– and I know what will happen if the boy in front of me is transferred.  I will not allow him to go through the horrors I experienced.  I won't.

   "Please calm yourself, Eren.  We will figure out a way to solve this– we have to.  I promise I won't let that happen to you.  Let's go and discuss this issue with Erwin and Levi, and see if they have any possible solutions."  The brunette slowly unclenches his fists and raises his head, refusing to say a word after our talk.  We trek onward, remaining quiet even as we part ways when we arrive at the old, stone castle.

   I don't blame him.

~~~~

   "We believe the Female Titan will attack before Cadet Jaeger reaches the Capital.  That is why we have prepared a diversion."  I tilt my head at Erwin's statement.

   "Oh?  And what is this diversion?"  Erwin glances over at Eren.

   "Cadet Kirstein will act as a decoy and begin the journey to Wall Sina as 'Eren' while Cadets Jaeger, Arlert, and Ackerman head to a stairwell that will lead out of the city underground."  I frown, intrigued yet confused on where this will head.

   "But...?  I do not believe you are leaving Eren on his own to wander out of the city."  Levi nods, answering before Erwin can.

   "No, of course not.  We think we know the identity of the Female Titan.  The brat's in the Military Police, and we plan to lead her underground and take her into custody as she is helping Cadet Jaeger escape.  If this plan fails, then Eren will engage her in combat."  I nod before asking the obvious question. This name is most likely to hold no importance to me, but I hope it won't affect anyone else's ability to act when the time comes.

   "Who do you suspect is the Female Titan?"  Erwin levels his serious gaze on me.

   "Annie Leonhardt."

~~~~

   I should've know as soon as Annie had slipped that ring on her finger.  I watch Annie and Armin converse, carefully concealed on the top of a roof underneath a long cloak.  Soon enough, the two young teenagers meet up with Eren and Mikasa, and the blonde girl starts leading them through a serious of side streets and back alleys.  Hopping from rooftop to rooftop is easy for me, and I stay near them at all times in case the operation fails.  Hopefully it won't come to that.

   Once the group of four reaches the stairwell leading underground, I keep close enough to see what they are doing, but decide not to listen in– instead, I opt for reading their body languages.  My wings skitter in anxiousness, and I am glad I have practiced flying.  When a loud whistling sound pierces the air, Annie's body tenses, but she doesn't react fast enough to evade the many hands of the people who restrain her, appearing from many hiding places near the area.

   I remain hidden, watching from above as Armin, Mikasa, and Eren disappear further down the stairwell.  Soon enough, a short spike is extracted from Annie's silver ring, and I curse quietly as a million thoughts run through my head. It is clear that the plan has failed; Annie knew what we were up to from the very beginning. I glance around hastily at my hiding place before bracing myself against the nearest wall in preparation for the loud– bang.

   A bright light engulfs the entire area surrounding Annie, and I shudder slightly in anger as the screams of the dying men reach my ears.  Growling, I leap to the edge of the roof to survey the damage. My wings drop slightly in response to my shock.

   Bloodstains are everywhere, making the side street a collage of red and tan brick.  My eyes widen once I realize that none of the men have survived, and anger bubbles in the pit of my stomach.  Not again...  I should have protected them!  Annie's loud, enraged roar cuts through my train of thought, and I watch in horror as she begins smashing in sections of the ground... sections that cause the underground tunnel to collapse.  The tunnel where my friends are.  Shouting in anger, I take to the skies.

   It is time to end this.