In the End

Rachel's P.O.V

"Heal." The light morphs to a bright red when it approaches Armin's lower section, the familiar sound of warning bells beginning to ring in my skull. Don't you dare retreat now. I am not giving up– so I'm giving you an order. Heal! I scream in my head, and it feels as if the power seems to have a conscience as it reluctantly fades from red to a bright yellow as it continues to cover Armin completely. I can feel something shifting inside me, but it is a welcome presence as I grind my teeth together.  I can dimly hear Hanji's voice somewhere to my left.

"Is that supposed to happen? The red thingy?" I laugh silently, before the pain of Armin's injury hits me like a typhoon. I wince and cry out, but grit my teeth in determination before Armin's body begins to fix itself. The blond doesn't feel any pain, but his eyes gain clarity as I proceed with the healing process.  He looks up at me in sadness, and sets his hands on my shoulders to try and push me away.

   "Please, Rachel... d-don't..."  I shake my head, refusing to remove my hands from his chest.  Even as his grip grows stronger and my force weakens, I solider on.

   "I need to do this, Armin.  I can't lose you."  I grit out through clenched teeth.  "After all, you're the one who taught me that Humanity isn't so bad after all.  I'm not going to lose you now.  Heal."  The pain is causing black dots to dance across my vision, and I hear the concerned murmurs of the people around us, but I shut everything else out as Armin's body starts to readjust itself.  My wings were now spread high above and behind me, and I can feel them getting heavier and heavier with each passing moment.

   "Please, Rachel!"  Armin's voice is stronger now.  "You'll lose your wings forever–!"  I shake my head, a single tear slipping down my cheek.

   "It's either my wings or you, Armin."  Tears stain his cheeks as he realizes what I mean.  "I think you know what my decision is."  With a final burst of willpower, Armin's body is good as new, and a soft black glow engulfs the both of us.  White-hot pain sears through my system and I scream out in pain, collapsing on my back as black begins to invade my vision.  I turn my head to the side and spot my ashen feathers changing color, just like before.  Armin's face appears above me, and I smile; happy that he is all right before returning my gaze to the sky.

   I'll never... be able to fly again.

~~~~

   I don't remember much else after that.  According to Armin, I passed out, and it was a full week before I woke up once again.  When I open my eyes again, Armin is right there– fast asleep with his head on his arms as he leans against my bed.  I stroke his hair softly as I glance out the window, before I feel the boy stir beneath my hand.  I smile down at him as he opens his eyes, dreary with sleep.  He rubs them harshly for a moment before turning his wide eyes on me, and he leaps forward to engulf me in a hug. I get a sense of deja-vu, just like the time before when I regained my memories.

   "Rachel!  You're finally awake!"  I laugh lightly.

   "Of course.  Are you alright, Armin?"  He looks at me incredulously.

   "Am I alright?  What about you?  You were out for a week!"  I glance up in thought.

   "A week, huh?"  I turn my gaze backwards and spot my now coal-black wings.  I observe them, unsettled by such a drastic change in the color of the feathers before twitching my shoulders.  There is little response from my feathered appendages.  I turn back to Armin with a weary sigh.  "I wish to wander the base for a bit.  Would you mind escorting me?"  The blond nods, and I swing my legs over the side of the bed and carefully stand, testing out my balance to find that it is better than before.  A side effect of losing my wings, most likely.