New Enemies

Narrator

   Rachel is able to spring to the side only seconds before the new Titan lunges at her, sinking it's abnormally sharp nails into the earth where the winged girl just was.  It wastes no time whirling on her once more, and Rachel is forced to fold one wing and pivot in the air to avoid the attack.  The air whistles as a finger swipes by her, missing her by mere inches.

   Rachel studies the creature as it watches her circle overhead.  The Titan is only 4 meters tall, making it just the right size for extra speed and agility.  It's eyes are an unusual light blue color that glow dimly in the sunlight.  Are they alight with anger? Rachel thinks, attempting to read the creature's eyes.  A mop of messy brown hair sits atop the Titan's head, and it remains crouched low to the ground as it blinks its eyes twice before glancing up at her.  Narrowing her eyes, Rachel also spots something off about the creature's hands, and not a moment later does she realize that the Titan's fingers aren't actually fingers.

In the place where the fingers are supposed to be, large, thick tree branches with sharpened tips are screwed onto the beasts's hands, leaving the thumb on each appendage the only real 'finger.'  Rachel almost gags at the thought of the pain that must have brought the Titan.  Then, she snaps back to her senses, shaking her head at the thought of sympathizing with the enemy.

Slowly descending, Rachel watches the creature's every move carefully, and notices how the beast observes her with just as much caution.  This Titan-Shifter has had extensive training judging by its defensive capabilities and swift reflexes, but why is it attacking now?

   "Erwin!"  Her call rings through the air as her eyes remain glued to the Titan.  "This creature has intelligence!"  Rachel is surprised when the Titan suddenly disappears from her view into the surrounding forest, and her eyes widen in panic.  Her enhanced senses fail to pick up any signs of the Titan's movements or location, so she cautiously tips her wings forward, gliding slowly down in a spiraling pattern.  She swoops low to the ground, unsuspecting of the enemy that lies closer than she imagines. Her back arches when something suddenly slams in to her right side, sending her reeling into the thick trunk of a tall tree nearby.

"Attack!" The sound of Erwin's voice pierced the air, and the soldiers perched in the trees launch into action. With the pain causing her vision to blur from the impact of hitting the tree, Rachel sees only the outlines of the soldiers as they try to strike down the Titan.

Rachel's P.O.V

I growl, the sound low and threatening as my vision begins to clear.  My heart stops in shock and sadness as I watch the commanding officer– Eli– get impaled with a tree branch and thrown to the side. His body goes limp, and a sickening thud reverberates in my head when he hits a tree and tumbled to the ground.  I cover my ears, coaxing my heightened hearing to calm as I stare at the dying soul sadly.  Blood is pooling beneath him as his eyes lose all life– the hole in his stomach too much for him to fight against closing his eyes.

I can feel the immediate anger causing my feathers to double in size. My feathers ruffle up in irritation as I take to the air, this time diving headfirst at the creature. It doesn't notice me until it is too late– I have all ready plunged a thick sword I acquired from Eli's corpse into the side of the beast's face.  It's eyes burn with an unconfined rage as it looks up at me, an unspoken promise underneath the glassy orbs.

   "You will pay for this!"

Screaming out in pain, the Titan is able to swipe at Hanji before disappearing into the trees. I am tempted to go after it, but Hanji's groans of pain turn my attention to her.

"Hanji, how bad does it hurt?"  I am both surprised and the slightest bit impressed when she chuckles.

   "The pain isn't what's bothering me– it's the strength the Titan possessed...  WE NEED TO TEST IT NEXT TIME WE RUN ACROSS–"  She is cut off when I whack her atop the head softly with my wing.  I kneel next to her, waiting for her to reveal her wound as I ask,

   "Focus!  How bad is the injury?"  She winces and uncovers her stomach, where a deep gash runs diagonally from her left shoulder all the way down to her right hip, leaving her shirt partly shredded and hindering her from uncurling herself from the position she is in.  I gasp lightly, inspecting the wound thoroughly.  "All right– Erwin, grab bandages.  Eren and Armin, apply steady pressure to the wound, and Levi– keep a lookout for any approaching Titans."

Fortunately no one argues, each racing to do what they are told.  I quickly motion Erwin forward with the bandages, and begin to gently but firmly use some of the cloth to dab at the brunette's wound before wrapping the fresh bandages around Hanji's torso.  She tries to hold back her grunts of pain, but fails miserably as I continue to place the strips of cloth securely across the gash, slowing the blood flow.

   "Alright, Hanji.  It seems that you will be fine for now– but without the proper medical supplies, I'm afraid I can't do much else."  Hanji nods weakly before resting her head on the ground and closing her eyes, falling deep into unconsciousness.  I glance over at Erwin and Levi and beckon them, along with Eren and Armin, to my side.  Mikasa comes of her own will, but I choose not to concern myself with her.  "Erwin," there is a note of urgency in my voice, "if we don't get Hanji back to the walls soon, she will not survive."

   Levi's gaze remains as cold as ice, but something sparks underneath the steel grey of his eyes as I say the dreaded words.  Erwin shakes his head, letting a pained expression cross his face before straightening once more.

   "We don't have the equipment nor the horses in order to accomplish this task– will you be willing to help with this?"  I shake my head.  As much as I have grown accustomed to the brunette's unexplained antics, I still don't want to leave the rest of the group without any aid in the middle of the Forest of Giant Trees.  I've been protecting humanity outside the walls for years now.  Hanji is one of my friends, but I can't take the chance of leaving the rest of the group here, alone and unprotected, while I fly her to safety.

   "I am sorry, Erwin, but I cannot leave this group with another unknown Titan on the loose.  Unless we can find a way to transport everyone back to the walls quickly and safely, I will not leave.  The soldiers' lives are my first priority– and I cannot risk all of your lives for one woman."  Levi's fist clenches.

   "Listen here, brat."  His voice is laced with venom.  "We are ordering you to take Hanji back to the walls whether you like it or not–"  I cut him off with a glare.

   "Excuse me?"  The question comes out barely above a whisper, containing raw rage that leaves no room for argument.  "You do not order me around, Levi.  I will not tolerate such disrespect towards me and my beliefs.  If you are to deliver a threat such as this even once more, I will no longer aid you in your fight against the Titans, and humanity will have gained a dangerous enemy.  Is this clear?"  Silence settles over the group.  I send the short man one last glare before spreading my wings and taking off into the trees for a short flight.  Levi may think that I am not being fair, but I am choosing the lesser of so evils by protecting the. Entire group from future threats.  He needs to understand that the world, itself, isn't fair.

   Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to help these humans after all...

A/N

Hello everyone! *raises from grave* I LIVE!!! Anywho, thank you for all the votes and supportive comments. Please keep on giving me your thoughts, and vote if you love this story~!

~Rainy