Back to Business

Rachel's P.O.V

   I quickly realize how hard I had overworked my wings.

   The usual feeling of them being an extension of my body is gone– replaced by a dull numbness.  My muscles and ligaments are so strained they are a sharp, throbbing reminder of my actions on the field.  At first I feel panicked; what would I do without my wings, the one constant in my life I had grown accustomed to?  But then I discover that the symptoms are only temporary– the tingling returns to my feathered appendages as I fold them against my back gently.  Maintaining my wings in this position is the easiest for me to accomplish, but even doing this much is a task I have to focus intently on.  I follow Armin to Erwin's office.

   "State your name and business."  The voice is muffled traveling through the door after Armin knocks.  A smirk tugs at the corner of my lips at the formality in Erwin's tone, hiding a strained note.  Is the Commander... worried about me?

   "Armin Arlert, Commander.  Rachel has woken up."  An immediate response greets my ears;

   "Enter."  The blond boy then goes into the office with me following close behind.  I spare a furtive glance around the office before leaning my weight against the wall, fixing my gaze on the blond man sitting at his desk.  As Erwin looks at me, a barrage of emotions flash across his face: sadness, happiness, shock, relief and...

   Anger.

   "What on earth were you thinking?"  The words directed at me are icy and emotionless– cutting through the air life sharp knives.  "You could have very well died!"  I look at him in shock before shrugging carelessly, trapping him with my own icy stare.  If this is how he wants to play it, I'm game.

   "Your soldiers were in peril– and it is my job to ensure their safety.  You expect me to put my life before theirs?  My whole existence was created for one purpose in the beginning– destruction."  My voice becomes bitter.  Old memories flood my mind, but I force myself to remain in the present.  "My tormentors often referred to me as an 'Angel of Destruction,' as that was what they had intended to use me for.  Once I escaped from their clutches, I vowed to become Humanity's secret helper.  The only way I could do that without being discovered, was by aiding the Recon Corps in their missions outside the walls."  My voice dropped to just above a whisper.  "You humans disgust me– or at least, you did.  But then I met Armin."

I glance over at said blond, smiling gently.  The anger settling in my bones turns to affection with a hint of... something else.  Companionship?  Friendliness?

   "Armin possesses a certain innocent curiosity that intrigued me.  It wasn't the 'dangerous experiments' type of curiosity, mind you, but the kind that tugs at the back of your mind constantly; nagging you on to asking questions and finding answers."  I return my glare back to the older man sitting at his desk in front of me, to discover his face holds a look of shock.  "You are lucky humanity possesses Armin– because otherwise, you humans would never have encountered me in the first place."  The silence after my speech is deafening, but I don't mind as I continue to stare the Commander down.  The tension is only broken by the thundering noise of the office door slamming open, revealing none other than Hanji standing in the doorway with Levi behind her.  I turn to face her just as she jumps at me, knocking me over in a hug.

  "OH MY GOSH RACHEL I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE OKAY HOW ARE YOU ARE YOUR WINGS ALL RIGHT–"  I laugh, cutting her off as I stand once more.

   "I'm perfectly alright, Hanji.  As well as that, I have good news– all of my memories from the past have returned."  She starts to bounce around excitedly.

   "Oh, really?!  How did that happen?  Did your mind just store the memories?  OOH I wonder what triggered them!"  I laugh once again and make a calming gesture with my hands.  Though I was apprehensive about her strange energy in the beginning, I am becoming more accustomed to her ways of expression.  I may even be enjoying this now.

   "Please calm down, Hanji.  We will figure out how I regained my lost memories in due time.  But for now, I would like to focus on the issue of the enemy Shifters."  She instantly falls into a more serious pose as I continue, much to my pleasure.  "Erwin, what are the statuses of the enemy Male and Female?"  The blond man snaps out of his shocked daze from earlier and clears his throat.  A quick analysis of him shows that he has his anger under control now, which I take to be a good sign.

   "They escaped, quite unfortunately.  For now, the best we can do is gather our resources and either plan an attack on the two using Eren with your assistance, or wait until they attack humanity.  I suspect the latter will happen sooner."  I nod, glancing upwards in thought.  So... it's a hunter versus hunted scenario, then.  I need more information if I am to help these people discover how to take the Male and Female Titans down.

   "In that case, we need to discover their identities.  From what I have gathered, the two are from either the Military Police or the Garrison Regiment.  Most likely the former, as more of your trainees entered the Military Police rather than the latter."  My gaze locks onto my feet.  But...  "These two are highly skilled– even in their human forms.  We need to find some way of countering them in the case that they transform. No offense to Eren, but I doubt he can take them both on, even in his Titan form. If we are forced to fend the Male and Female off, we will have to devise a plan so that it's on our terms." Erwin makes a noise of agreement.

"I agree. But, in order to have a higher chance of success, we need you ready. You will have to do exercises in order to get the strength in your wings back, and it would be better if you started today." I look at him with a raised eyebrow, and he sighs. "But you may do as you wish– just be ready for a battle that could happen at any time." I huff, smiling at him.

"Sure thing." I then turn to Armin. "Armin, will you fetch Eren and bring him here? And please try and keep the fact that I'm awake on the down-low, alright?" He nods and leaves the office, leaving Hanji, Erwin and me in a compatible silence. I can't say the same for Levi, though. As I settle comfortably in one of the office chairs, I call,

"What is troubling you, Levi?" He looks over at me, a hint of hesitation in his eyes.

"Nothing. I'm fine." My eyebrow shoots up at the absence of the 'brat' title.

"Oh? Then we shall speak in private later." He gives no complaint (throwing up big red flags to me), just a simple toss of his head and a huff.

   I smile secretly.