Sacrifice

A/N
Dear readers,
The picture above is what you can imagine me as as you read this chapter. Just know, that I never intend to cause you suffering [...probably :) ].
Sincerely,
~Rainy

~~~~

Rachel's P.O.V

I have to leap out of the way as Eren come barreling at me, completely focused on taking Annie out. My wings are nearly spent, so I land and focus my energy on leaping from roof to roof in order to conserve what little time in the air I have left before I have to recharge.  The soldiers seem to have taken the hint at Eren's arrival– they scatter, fleeing to rooftops farther from the two Titans' vicinities.  I direct the few soldiers who's gear are broken or lost to an easy way up the walls and to higher vantage points, keeping one eye on Eren.

"Eren, be cautious!" Of course, this is said directly after he knocks the Female off her feet and into a church full of people. My heart clenches at the sight of blood splattering across the stone, but I tear my gaze away from the gruesome sight as my eyes redirect themselves back on Eren. He is breathing heavily, and throwing punches at Annie left and right in the middle of a large plaza. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion at his odd behavior.  Sure, Eren is known for his recklessness when rushing into battle in a wild rage, but I have never seen him like this before. His bright, blue-green eyes are practically glowing, and the red veins beneath his skin are clearly visible; pulsing a brighter red with every beat of his heart. It is as if the Titan has completely taken over for this part of the fight, though Eren is handling himself pretty well for not controlling his own actions. 

When Annie has Eren pinned beneath her, she starts punching him with all her might. Her fists are glazed over with some sort of diamond-looking material, and I can tell it was doing some serious damage. The material glitters under the rays of the sun, casting an occasional beam of light into Eren's eyes.  Under any other circumstances, I would be fascinated by the array of colors, but I am more worried about Eren.  The Recon Scouts are wisely staying at a distance from the two, all except for one.

"Armin, be careful!" The blond boy is standing at a closer-than-comfortable distance to the two Titans, and he is shouting at Eren in encouragement and worry. When said Titan finally manages to get the upper hand on Annie, he sends her flying away from him.

Right at Armin.

~~~~

Time seems to slow down as the blond boy attempts to get clear of the oncoming Titan. I watch in horror as he is lost beneath Annie's mass, who goes sliding across the ground roughly. Mikasa's cry mirrors my own as we both immediately take off toward the sight of destruction. Annie is now back on her feet and sprinting toward Eren, who doesn't even realize what has happened.

   "I'm going to kill her myself!" Mikasa roars, before zooming off toward the fight. I notice how the Female Titan is beginning to try and climb the wall, before feeling a satisfying smirk tug at my lips at the sight of her town thighs.  Eren must have tried to make it so she can't run away. Mikasa cuts off her fingers, sending her falling back down to the earth with a heavy boom. Shaking my head, I refocus my attention on the more important task– finding Armin.

   "Ra-R... Rachel..." I turn my head toward a weak voice, and there he is.

   Underneath a large boulder that I know is beyond my capabilities of lifting.

   "Armin?..." My heart stops, and I can feel the beginnings of bile creeping up my throat.  N-no...
I kneel down next to him, getting a closer look at his face. Blood is dribbling down his chin, and I don't want to look at the destruction his lower body has sustained, but I force my gaze to travel downward. Tears are streaming down my face by now, as Armin's whole lower body is crushed, his vital organs along with it. Blood is smeared across his uniform, and his eyes are glazed over and half-lidded.  My mind flashes back to all the soldiers I sent off on the battlefield outside the walls, when life was much more simple.  I think of all the injuries I wished I could heal, but failed to do so.  This... this is so much worse.

   "I-I'm sorry..." I shake my head, silently willing the tears away to no avail. I don't even realize when the rest of the Scouts gather around us in a loose ring, Mikasa right next to me and Eren struggling to stay conscious for his friend.

   "Don't apologize, Armin. You fought very bravely today." I glance behind me at my wings– the most precious and constant thing in my life up to this day.  They remain limp on the ground, the feathers smaller and weaker than they've ever looked before with my sadness.  More tears well up in my eyes as I hang my head. "And perhaps you will live to see another day." I gesture for Mikasa to move back, and set my hands on Armin's chest. A soft glow engulfs the both of us, and I briefly flash back to the last time I had been caught up in a situation this dire.

Flashback

   "Please, don't leave me, Michael! I need you!" Before my eyes, my oldest friend– whom I view as a brother– lay dying due to a sword wound to his side. The blade had pierced through his ribs and had punctured his lung, causing him to constantly cough and hack up blood while he attempts to breath. My golden wings flap frantically as I try to calm down.

   "Don't worry about me–"  He is interrupted by another vicious coughing fit.  Panicking, I set my hands on his chest and squeeze my eyes shut, relying on the one power deep within me that I was sworn never to use.

   "Heal." Opening my eyes, I gasp lightly to see a soft glow engulfing my hands, spreading down to Michael. The feeling produces a fuzzy warmth in my chest, and I smile in wonder as I see the world in a completely new light.  Hope swells in my chest when I see the glow approach his wound, winding over the gentle rising and lowering of his chest.

   But then, something happens.

   The soft glow turns a bright red, and there is the sound of ringing alarm bells in my head.  It pounds on the inside of my skull, blurring my vision and eliciting a whimper of pain from me.  The light retreats, disappearing in thin air. It takes a moment for the headache to become manageable, but I refuse to give in to the pain when I see Michael's prone form laying on the ground.  His chest is no longer rising.  I shake him, feeling my lips quiver when he doesn't answer my calls. I fail to notice the shift in the color of my feathers– from a brilliant gold to a soft white.

   "Michael? Micheal! Michael, come back to me, please!"

   He doesn't respond.

Flashback End

   "Eren, get this boulder off of him." Though the brunette is struggling to remain conscious, he understands my meaning, and shakily rises to his feet.  I can sense his unspoken question towards my intent– are you sure?  The steely gaze I send his way is enough for him to accept my decision.

   "Eren, no! You are in no condition to–"

   "Do you want Armin to die or not?!" I snap at Mikasa, who had just interrupted me. She stares at me, her eyes wide with surprise. No one gets to protest any further, however, because Eren has already transformed.  The adrenaline rush has worn off, I can tell, but the boy-turned-Titan is determined to help his injured friend. Straining himself, Eren lifts the large object and throws it to the side, away from our little group. Mikasa rushes to his side as he collapses, but I nod to him in gratitude and reassurance as he finally loses consciousness.

   Turning my attention back to Armin, I close my eyes. The white glow begins at the tip of my wings, and starts to spread.