For a Friend

Rachel's P.O.V

   Hanji's wound is an ugly green color– the edges blue, leading out to purple, then finally red.  The blood flow has stopped, I note, but the scab that is attempting to cover the wound is infected. I growl in realization.

   "The edges of the branches on the Titan's hands were poisoned."  I say, and glance up to see Levi failing to hide the panic and fear in his eyes.

   "We have to find some way to heal her–" I shake my head at Erwin's statement.

   "We lack the supplies to tend to such a wound here, and now that we know she has been poisoned, it is guaranteed that she won't survive the journey back to the wall–"

   "That isn't good enough!  Isn't there any way you can heal her?  Or transfer the pain to another?"  I freeze at Levi's words.  This is the first time he... has actually raised his voice.  I slowly lift my head to look at him.

   "You would risk that much for her?"  The determination in the man's eyes appalls me.  I am dimly aware of the others gathering around Hanji and me and shouting something– but I don't care.  All that matters is the man in front of me... a man willing to take on an immense amount of pain –and possibly give his life– to save his friend's.  Everyone becomes silent as I smile, a single tear sliding down my cheek.

   "It has been so long since I've interacted with humanity." The silence permeating the air only seems to deepen, and not even the trees create a sound as I share my sentiment. "The last encounter I've ever had with your race was bad, my hate bred from evil ones who wished to hurt me further than humanly possible. But you... your devotion to your friend is something I haven't seen for a long time. It has awoken something inside me." I smile. "Stand back."

The words are whispered, start to finish.  The soldiers instantly comply with my request as I drop my head, my eyes leveling with the poisoned wound.  I focus all my attention on my hands and lay them on the woman's stomach, drawing on a power that has lain dormant for a very long time.  My wings curl slightly and begin to glow with a soft, white light– the light spreading over my whole body and to my hands.  It starts to overtake Hanji's body as well, and she jerks awake, eyes filling with pain and confusion.

   "It's alright, Hanji."  My voice is soft, echoing slightly around the clearing.  "Relax," she complies with my offer, her trust in me increasing my power. "Heal."

   With that one, simple word, the soft white glow turns yellow, and Hanji's wound begins to shrink and return to its normal color.  The soldiers around us gasp, and Hanji starts to thrash abruptly in my grip of her own will.

   "No!"  No one knows what she means, but I grit my teeth and continue the healing process.  The pain the brunette had been feeling fills me until it is nearly unbearable, the wound on her torso continuing to shrink in size and severity.  With one final burst of power, all that remains on her stomach is a long scar.  I am dimly aware of someone grabbing my shoulders.

   I scream as the yellowish glow turns grey, expanding over the whole clearing until it disappears completely.  Whoever tries to pry me off Hanji is thrown backwards.

   I smile softly as I fall backwards, the pain overtaking my senses until I lose consciousness.

Narrator

   Levi and the rest of the group watch in shock and wariness as the white glowing originating from Rachel's wings spreads to Hanji.  The woman jerks awake, surprised, and lets out a cry of pain.

   "It's alright Hanji, relax," the younger recruits jump at the sound of the heavenly voice that echoes slightly, seemingly coming from everywhere.  "Heal."  The glow surrounding the two suddenly turns to the color of butter before Levi's very eyes.  He looks on as the wound on his friend's stomach begins to disappear, the skin mending and attaching over the long slash.  Hanji abruptly thrashes, trying to escape Rachel's grasp.

   "No!"  Her yell catches Levi off-guard, and he looks into the fearful eyes of his friend.  "Stop her!  She's taking the pain into herself!"  Levi's eyes widen as he glances over at Erwin.  Neither move.  Eren finally steps forward and set his hands on Rachel's shoulders, trying to pull her backwards.  The girl is shaking when the yellow glow turns grey, and Eren is thrown backwards, crashing into Armin and knocking both of them to the ground.

   A bloodcurdling scream fills the air.  Not that of a monster, mind you– but the sound of a girl in immense pain... almost as if she had just been mortally wounded.  Rachel's eyes glow a bright grey for a few seconds before fading back to a dull green as she falls backwards.  Armin rushes forward to check her pulse, and lets out a shaky breath. He closes his eyes and ducks his head as he grabs Rachel's arm in order to ground himself.

   "She's barely breathing..." Then, louder, the teen shouts, "Quick, get me a pack!" One of the soldiers turns and sprints away, returning not a moment later with a cooling pack. Armin quickly takes it and sets Rachel's head in his lap, gently applying the pack to her forehead. Everyone is startled when Hanji shoots up and jumps to her feet, yelling,

"OH MY GOSH HOW IS SHE?!" Springing forward, the woman knocks Armin back and takes her head in her own lap, a single tear dripping down her face.  "Oh, Rachel..."  Eren looks at her in confusion.

   "Hanji..?"  The woman glances up, tears now freely slipping down her cheeks.  Levi startles by the sheer amount of emotion in her eyes– he has rarely seen that level of concern cross her features.

   "When she healed me, Rachel took away all the pain; but in the process, she took on the pain I felt.  But that's not all she did..."  Hanji's voice sounds deadly serious, so much so that it even begins to scare some people.  The brunette's eyes lock with Levi's, then with Armin's.

   "She shared her memories with me."