Remembering

A curious thing, the mind.

   It can be manipulated: changed, into thinking something happened that really didn't.  As Rachel blacked out in Eren's hand, bits and pieces of a time once past flit across her mind.

~~~~

"STOP!" I yell, flying front of the boy and landing in between him and the Female Titan.  Spreading my wings out to their full, very wide extent, I stand in a defending position. I can tell from the look of shock on the Titan's face that it has intelligence, but I wonder how. Knowing I now have its full attention, I speak once again at the frozen threat before me, "Stand down, you monster."

~~~~

CHOMP.

      "AAAAHHHHHHHH!"  I let out a scream of pain as the giantess closes her teeth on my left wing, and I look up to see her healed left eye glaring down at me.  Seeing the oriental in my vision, I quickly twist my body and yell,

   "Catch!"  as I throw the boy in her direction.  She catches him, and I ignore them as I turn back to the giantess, trying to pry her teeth open so I can remove my wing from her death grip.  It doesn't work.

      Feeling weak, I limply swing from her teeth, feeling as if my wing will be ripped from my back.  Barely staying conscious, I dimly hear,

      "Now!"  Before feeling like free-falling to the Earth.

      Everything fades to black.

~~~~

   I feel a sudden pressure on my limp left wing. Letting out a hiss of pain, I turn and see the incompetent Squad Leader Hanji poking at the numb limb. Quickly extending my right wing out, I send a strong gust of wind her way, knocking her far away from my injured appendage. Glaring at her, I speak coldly.

"Excuse me, Squad Leader Hanji, but I will have to ask you to refrain from touching me in any area." Hanji sits up and looks at me in my defensive position, with my good wing curling around me.

"Wow! That was a strong gust of wind you just produced there! And you did that with only one wing!" She asks excitedly.

~~~~

"As you already know, there is a Female Titan after Eren. She has been interfering with our plans for a while– and we plan to capture her." I raise an eyebrow. 'You and what army? Shorty and Madwoman?  Yeah, you're gonna need more experienced people other than those two.' "We would like you to help us to discover the Female's identity, and apprehend her." My eyes widen.

"Woah, woah, woah, hold up. So, you want me to help you discover the identity of the Female Titan– who is 15 meters tall, might I add– capture her, and bring her in for questioning?"

Erwin raises a gigantic eyebrow as if to say, "Yes. It there a problem?" I sigh, and drag my hand through my long, smooth hair. I distract myself by patiently fixing the tangles that my fingers get caught on for a moment.

"Fine. But only after my wing heals." Erwin seems satisfied with my answer, while Levi looks about ready to start shouting obscenities at me. 'You wanna go, Shorty?' He sends me one last glare before exiting the office, followed by Hanji. I stare after them, the full realization of what I had just agreed to smashing into me like a solid brick wall.

'Just what have I gotten myself into?'

~~~~

"Armin, you and Eren grab my hands!" Reaching down, I grip Armin's wrist in my right hand and Eren's in my left before flapping my wings, hard. The strain is more to take, but I know I can handle it as I settle in a nice, easy glide over the treetops.