T H I R T Y

{unedited}

T H I R T Y

"And you're sure you can't come?" I ask for the millionth time.

Zayn is practically shoving me out of the flat, both of our huge suitcases is in his hands. I follow him out, the phone shoved against my ear whilst I listen to Hugo tell me again that his agent had found him some huge film audition.

"Ok, ok. I'll see you when we get back home, yeah? Ok. Good luck, babe." I end the call and huff in annoyance, ducking into the backseat of a black cab.

"Hugo's not coming?" Zayn asks once the cab begins moving.

"Nope," I reply, crossing my legs. "He has an audition or something."

"Well that's good, now you and I can just have more time together." Zayn brushes his shoulder against mine, flashing me his best appeasing smile. At my lack of response he squeezes my hand and kisses the top of my head. "He is not going to Niall you, Elouise."

"Niall me? When did Niall become a verb?"

"When it perfectly described your exact fears."

"And what would those be, pray tell?"

"That Hugo is staying home to bed his agent and might break up with you to focus on his acting career."

"That's not even--"

"Elouise, please. You can pull that tough shit with Calinda and Mark but not me. It's ok to worry, but he's not Niall, and it's not fair to put that on him before he's even screwed up."

I cross my arms, knowing Zayn is right. I still can't help the panicky feeling in my stomach that makes me want to call Hugo right now and call all of it off. "I hate it when you're right," I grumble.

"Trust me, I know the feeling."

"At least we're going to spend the whole week mooching off Mark."

"Actually, I paid for our hotel room in Greece, so you're the moocher." I lay my head down on his shoulder, tucking my legs underneath me. I watch the London cityscape whizz by outside the cab window, the sun slowly crawling up over the roofs of brick and mortar buildings older than the dirt in New York City.

Once inside the train station, Zayn and I stop for coffee. I miss New York coffee, I miss my favorite coffee shops in Greenwich village. Zayn shoves a muffin into my hand before steering me towards another platform. It isn't long before I see the tall, skinny form of Mark beside a petite brunette. Katherine and Harry are sitting on the bench behind them, beside Calinda and Liam.

Mark hugs me first, smiling brightly. "She's very nervous about meeting you, so be nice." He whispers in my ear and slap his arm, breaking away to hug the shy girl beside him.

"Whatever he's told you about me, don't believe him." I tell her. "It's so nice to meet you," I add and she breaks into a dazzling smile, hugging me back.

"Where's Hugo, El?" Katherine asks as she stands up, one hand on her slightly protruding belly.

"He couldn't make it, he had an important audition."

"Probably a good thing," Harry mutters to Mark, his averted from my face as I hug Katherine and pretend not to have heard him. I'll ask him about his aversion to my new boyfriend later, when he's had a glass of wine and isn't so uppity. 

"Well, we've got about twenty minutes until our train leaves, should we go ahead and head to the platform?" Calinda asks Mark, a sharp edge to her voice that makes me widen my eyes at her.