T W E L V E

T W E L V E

After showering and shaving my legs, Katherine rubs my arms and legs down in a smooth, thick body creme. It makes my skin super soft and silky, and I can't help but smooth my hands down my shiny legs a few times. Maura paints my nails a shiny red color, smiling up at me with an adoring smile when she doesn't think I'm watching.

They roll my hair into light, bouncy waves, while Granny sits in the corner, humming to the Ella Fitzgerald song playing softly from Maura's iHome. After expertly applying my mascara, eyeshadow, and eyeliner, Katherine dips her finger into a small pot of Vaseline and rubs it against my lips.

"Mind if I ask what all this for?" I ask, hoping to convince them that I have no idea what's going on.

"For the family dinner tonight, the whole family will be there. Oh, and we're having a luncheon with Mullingar's finest ladies." Maura says with a fond, reassuring smile as she leads me into her bedroom, stopping me in front of a creme-colored garment bag.

"This was my dress I wore the first night Theodore took my dancing," Granny says shakily as she grips my arm for support, smiling widely. "I was hoping you would wear it today."

"Of course, Granny, thank you." I kiss her cheek and wrap my arms around her shoulders warmly. I don't care if nothing between Niall and I is true, I love this woman like my own grandmother. She pats my back as I hug her tightly before pulling Maura and Katherine into the hug as well. "Thank you all," I whisper gratefully, sniffling pathetically.

"Go try on your dress! We have to be at the luncheon soon!" Maura says with a playful scold in her voice, pushing me towards her bathroom. I grab the garment bag from the door and rush to the bathroom, stripping out of my pajamas.

I unzip the garment bag and gasp, my hands falling away from the dress as soon as my eyes land on it's blood-red fabric. It's the prettiest vintage sheer lace dress I've ever seen, complete with cuff sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. I delicately trace my fingers across the edge of the dress, afraid I might ruin it. With unsure hands I lift it over my head and pull it down, watching my appearance change in the mirror. I look graceful and confident, the perfect woman for Niall. For the first time since our agreement, I am positively sure that I am the only one who can fill this position.

I open the door to the bathroom and strut out, smiling happily. "I'm in love with this dress, Granny."

"Niall is going to die when he sees you," Maura whispers before covering her mouth with a shocked grin.

"You're beautiful, Elouise. Are you ready to meet some scary women?" Katherine asks, giggling.

"Sure, yeah." I murmur, tugging at my dress. I hug everyone once again, dreading my return to New York City. I feel like family here, and I don't want to leave them.

***

We sit down at a big table filled with chattering women in large hats, each flashing big diamond rings on their fingers. They smile politely and hug me hello, beaming once they hear I'm Niall's "girlfriend". Maura totes me around with a glass of champagne in her hand, her happy smile increasing when the women beam at my red dress and rigid politeness.

We sit down beside a woman named Eleanor Tomlinson, who I've met twice before. She and Mr. Tomlinson had been visiting in Dublin for the weekend and had heard about the luncheon from Niall himself. Apparently, Niall and Louis are out having drinks right now at the men's version of a luncheon. She's a nice girl and is easy to talk to. I quickly introduce her to Katherine, naively hoping we could all become best friends and be like a sort of Charlie's Angels group. Calinda, too.

We chatter amongst ourselves as the food is served on a beautiful marble-covered terrace that overlooks a humongous golf course. For once, it's beautiful outside, not a cloud in the sky. The older ladies ask me serious questions about my future, while the young girls quiz me about Niall. Even though the conversations are rather superfluous and fake, they're enjoyable and calm my raging nerves.