S E V E N

S E V E N

"So, what does Zayn do?" Katherine asks as I fold yet another jacket into my Louis hardcase. 

"You know, he does a little of everything." I reply, laughing. Katherine and I had taken a strong liking together and when she'd offered to help me pack for the trip, I couldn't decline. 

"And he doesn't know yet that you and Niall are dating?" She must notice the way I stiffen at her voice, for she shakes her head and sets her wine down. "You've got to tell him at some point."

"Tell who what?" Zayn asks as he bursts through the door, his long hair windblown. 

"Zayn, this Katherine, Niall's best friend. Katherine, Zayn, my best friend."  Zayn smiles warmly at her.

"Hello." He takes two long strides towards me and pulls me into his warm arms. "What's all this?" He surveys the bed with confusion. "Going somewhere?" 

"Yes, I have an emergency work trip to Ireland." Katherine raises her eyebrow at me. "Zayn..." I say slowly, not taking my eyes off Katherine's bemused face.

"Elouise..." he mimics, making me roll my eyes.

"I, um, well. Sit down. I have something to tell you."

He obeys with an amused glint in his eyes, his little pink tongue caught between his lips. "Yes...?"

"Well, I..." In all honesty, Zayn and Niall did not get along. They'd only met twice, but they were obviously oil and water, and Niall didn't really approve of Zayn's tattoos and unconventional way of life. "I, um." I didn't know why I was so nervous to tell Zayn. Relationships had never been a big deal to us, just topics mentioned in passing like the weather or sports. "I... I think you need a haircut." 

"A haircut?" He asks, not buying my cover-up in the least. His long fingers rake their way through his black locks, surveying them for a minute before letting his hands fall limp to his sides. 

"Yes." I squint my eyes at him. "You look like some type of Italian prince. I can't handle that kind of majestical-ness in my life--"

"Elouise," Katherine snaps, giving me her best 'are-you-kidding-me' glare. 

"Ok, fine." I huff, jumping onto the bed beside Zayn. "I know you're not his biggest fan, but, Niall and I are... together. Like together, together."

His eyebrows shoot up to the sky, and I'm worried he's about to freak out or something. He turns to Katherine and asks for her to give us a moment of privacy and she nods gently, giving me a small smile before stepping out. "Ok, El, what's going on?" 

"Niall and I are dating," I reply, clenching my fists as I force the lie between my teeth. 

"Dating?" His eyes narrow. "Since when?"

"A few... wee--months."

"A few wee months?"

"Ye-es." I nod, not trusting my voice.

His large hand encloses my much small one, "El, you're my mate. Be honest, what the heck is going on?" 

"What, do you think it's impossible for Niall to fancy me?" I spit, hating the tone of my voice. Everyone's surprise was seriously getting on my nerves. When I'd told Calinda this afternoon, it took her fifteen minutes and a confirmation from Niall to get her to actually believe we were together.

"No. I think it's impossible that you would fancy him." His eyes glare intently into mine until I'm forced to look away. "I know you're not telling me the whole truth, and I don't know what's going on, but I'm going to find out."