T H I R T Y F I V E

[a/n: to clear up any confusion, this letter was written when Niall and Elouise were visiting Ireland]

I open the package with my finger, sliding it along the glued seal and trying not to destroy it. At first my hands shake so bad that I can't read the words on the page, so I have to set the letter on the floor and read it there. As soon as I can make the words out, the rest of the world disappears.

Elouise-

You're asleep on my shoulder right now on a plane to Ireland and we're about to test our fake relationship and all I want to tell you is that I never meant for it to be like this. I know that these next few months will be hell for you (and watching you go through it will be hell for me). And I don't want to do this to you, but the truth is, I know you're the only one who can do it.

A few weeks ago, Mark came to me with evidence that one of his execs was trading information with Jones (information you will find disclosed in the following documents) and that Jones has plans to use the information to frame me. Mark is an old friend and has decided to help me thwart his plans, but to do so we must be very careful. I know that I may not succeed, and if so, I have made arrangements to protect you. Our relationship will take the eyes off of some business deals going on, which will allow me to set up the necessary precautions in case I cannot prove my own innocence. 

First you must know that this is never how I planned we would do things. I always thought we would fall in love after a late night in the office, when you'd finally realize I don't look at you the way I look at anyone else. Even now, as you sleep in my lap, you are blissfully unaware of the effect you have on me. I thought that taking you home to meet my family would be a grand and joyous celebration, and although you think of me as the man with no heart, it pains me greatly to know that I am asking you to sacrifice so much. In truth, this was never how I wanted it to go between you and I, and if this means I'll never get to love you the right way--the way I should--then with a heavy heart I write that I'm okay with that. 

Our fake relationship is necessary to make Jones think that I am becoming distracted, weak, and vulnerable. I wish it could be with someone else, but I am afraid that absolutely nobody else would be believable, because with them I would be acting, and with you I am so easily my most uninhibited self that I forget you and I are even pretending. I know all of this must be so confusing and upsetting, and I apologize again. I would not do this if there was another way to keep you safe. In the next few months, know that I am doing all of this for your safety.

If I am too late, you will find a document behind this letter that has been complied of all the latest evidence of Jones's fraud. I will understand if you are hesitant to believe me. 

Oh, and Elouise--

It was always you. The moment you walked into my office and starting spouting off about horoscopes, I was gone. I kept my distance because I believed you more deserving of a greater love, but now I see that we are destined to love each other and that only we can offer each other the love the other craves. I do love you Elouise, even though I know you don't know it yet. I love you, Elouise. You've always been the green light at the end of my dock. 

Love always,

Niall

The date proves he'd written it months ago, though I can't help feeling a bit disbelieving. All this time, and he'd been loving me?

"I'm confused," I tell Harry.

"Keep reading, then I'll fill in the gaps."

I pull out the remaining artifacts, one of which being a journal filled with Niall's rough handwriting and pasted tidbits. An old receipt glued on with 'first time I made you laugh' scrawled underneath. Various poems, dated between the months we'd first met and last week. The scrapbook is filled with evidence of Niall's love for me, a memoir of details from our life together that I'd missed trying to find the obvious. 

The last bit is a heavy document with a page in the middle flagged. I recognize it as the document I'd signed in the beginning of my contract as Niall's secretary. In the third paragraph towards the bottom, someone has highlighted a  section of text.

I read it slowly.

36 (C) **And should chief executive officer Niall Horan fall ill, or succumb to a court of law that prevents him from fulfilling his duties as chief executive officer, he grants the holdings of Horan Enterprises and Corporation to Elouise Watson, who will be granted full access to shareholdings, company intel, and private documents and will furthermore be able to make decisions for Horan Enterprises and Corporation as Missus Watson deems necessary. Once this action is invoked, Missus Watson's status as chief executive officer is permanent and cannot be reversed or undone by the Horan Corporation Board or its trustees, nor by Mister Niall Horan himself. This is legal and allowed by the Fair Act of Corporate Affairs, established by Niall Horan (2010). 

"Oh my God," I gasp, the document falling to the ground at my feet. "He didn't--"

"He did," Harry reassures, patting my shoulder. "He wasn't joking, Lou. He wanted to protect you." 

"From Jones...?"

"He'd been selling shareholder information to someone on Mark's team in exchange for some information back. They'd been working together, but somehow he'd gotten into Niall's computer files and was able to access information in Niall's name." 

"And Niall thought I was in trouble?"

"You were. Jones had been illegally signing pay slips in your name." I leaf through the pages, seeing photocopies of my 'alleged' signature, a pretty-decent copy minus the obnoxious heart over the 'I'.

"So I'm--"

"Officially the CEO of Horan Enterprises? Yes." 

"Holy fuck. But how does it protect me?" 

"Your fake relationship protects you. If they tried to make you an accomplice, your lawyers could argue that you'd just been deluded by love. Being CEO is what's right. Niall knew that if nobody was in place when he was arrested that Jones would then probably take over. With you in place, he can't become CEO. Not legally. There's an innocent man at trial, here, Elouise. It's your choice to decide if you want to help him or not." 

"How?" I ask. I am a very powerful person suddenly, but I feel more helpless than ever. 

"Liam and Mark will help you with the technical aspects of it all, but you've got to present the evidence and make a case for him as CEO." 

"Okay, you call Mark and tell him to get his big fancy plane ready and I'll calm Liam and tell him that I'm going to have to cancel Wine Wednesday with Calinda." 

And with a flurry of motion, I begin my first twenty four hours as a CEO.

***

i know this one was short, but it was full of answers!!!

so you finally know the big secret! are you surprised? sad? happy? disappointed? i hope you're surprised. you'll find out more about what niall has been scheming in the next few chapters. anyways, love you all.

thanks for reading.

xoxo

mads