O N E

O N E

"Calinda, cancel all of Niall's meetings, ok?" I ask as I pass her desk, my dress swishing over my thighs.

"Yeah, of course. Have you read all the things they're saying?"

"No. Haven't had time. I don't even know what we're dealing with." I pause beside her desk for a moment, trying to collect my thoughts. 

"Oh, it's so bad Elouise. This is going to be hard to recov--" Calinda's sentence is interrupted by the shrill ring of her office phone. "No, Mr. Horan is not available for comment at this moment. Thank you." She slams the phone down and returns her gaze to me. "Go, Elouise. Don't you have a board meeting to arrange?" 

"Oh, shit. Yeah." She rolls her eyes at me as I duck away, tottering on my heels as I half-run to my desk and dial the number that would leave a message for all the board members. After I've called, I send a mass email to everyone, letting them know where to meet and when. Then I gather my laptop in my hands and my planner and run back to Niall's office.

Again, I forget to knock, so I'm surprised to find Niall not at his desk but at the small couch in the corner of his office, a very nice looking girl beside him. Niall didn't have a lot of girls, Calinda and I often joked that he was "married to his work" (only when he wasn't around, of course).

"Listen, you need to get out of the city for a while. Rob will take you to my apartment in London, ok? You stay there until things die down."

"Why do we have to keep things a secret? I love you," I was impressed by her passion. She was gripping Niall's hands so tight I worried she'd leave bruises, but he didn't seem to be in pain. 

I was even more impressed by Niall's lack of response. "This is what's best for you right now. For me, too. If you love me, you'll understand that."

The girl nods and then stands and turns, but not before placing a kiss on his forehead. She gives him a sad smile and I can see the tears threatening to spill over, when she passes me, she ducks her head and slams the door behind me. 

"I guess she's related to whatever's going on, then." I say hesitantly, but Niall ignores me and swings his legs up onto the arm of the couch, closing his eyes. "You can tell people about your relationship you know, I'm sure it would only endear you more."

"She's a prostitute." He says quietly, so low I can barely his breathy whisper.

"Were you paying her?" It's the first thing out of my mouth, and I can't filter my racing thoughts quick enough to stop it from tumbling out between my lips and into the tense air between the two of us.

He opens one eye at me and then shuts it, his hands stretching across his long body to rub his temples. 

"Shit, Niall. This is bad." 

"I know." He says emotionlessly.

"Investors are going to pull out. The media's going to have a field day."

"I know." His tone suggests that I should stop my rambling, but my mind has switched to panic mode and I can't control my word vomit.

"We're not going to land the GE investment--forget our projected sale for this month..."

"I know, Elouise. I know." He rushes to his feet, his eyes gleeming. "I know that it looks awful. I know it ruins my perfect image. I know that I'm going to become the next Bernie Madolf in the media's eyes. I know that Elouise... I'm not an effing idiot!" He roars, his chest is heaving. I'm about to mumble out a meak apology when a quiet cough stops me from doing so. 

"Uh, Niall? We're ready for the meeting." Mr. Tomlinson says, his eyes briefly landing on me.

"You're fifteen minutes early." He replies quietly.

"Seemed urgent." 

"We'll be there in just a minute."

"We'll be in the confrence room." Mr. Tomlinson peels away from his spot between the office doors, leaving Niall and I in total silence.

Niall makes his way to his desk, his ever charming swagger still apparent in his walk. It's quiet for a few beats before we both open our mouths at the same time.

"Elouise. Remember when the Hardy investors pulled out at the last minute three years ago? The company almost collapsed. But you told me you believed I would figure something out. You stood beside me when I cut half the board's salary. You testified against Mr. Winstock when you found out about his underhanded deals he'd been making. You've helped develop every project we've ever worked on in this company. You're my second in command. So please, do not freak out on me now. The calmer you are, the more believe in me, the more I will feel like I can handle this." 

"Yes, sir." 

"We need to be a united front for the board. If you're calm, I'll be calm. I'll have a clear head."

"Yes, sir." I repeat, making the corners of his mouth turn upward briefly. He reaches out hesistantly to squeeze my elbow, an awkward gesture of respect. 

I follow him out of his huge office and down the hallway towards the confrence room. I stare at the spot between his shoulders the whole time, trying to stay calm. We stop in front of the heavy wooden doors and I turn to face him, managing a weak smile. "May I?" I ask, my hands hesitantly reaching out to brush the lint from his navy suit coat. 

"Thank you."

"Here we go." I murmur as I knock on the left door, twice, before removing my hand. 

****************************

here we go indeed