F O U R

F O U R

It takes forty-five minutes for the attorney to draw up a "standing-contract" that will function temporarily. It legally binds Niall and I to this "engagement", decreeing neither of us legally allowed to talk about the arrangement to anyone not mentioned in the contract. I shift anxiously from one foot to another as his fingers fly across the keyboard. After all the board members have signed their names, agreeing not to talk about this secret arrangement to anyone, the pen is handed to Niall, then me.

My signature is a little sloppy as my hand is shaking from the excitement I feel, and also the nervousness in the pit of my stomach. Niall and I manage an exchange of shy smiles, neither oneof us quite comfortable with the arrangement.

"Well, I think that's it for today. This is Anna Roland, head of PR. She'll be managing your relationship and setting up public events for you two." Mr. Jones says, introducing us to a beautiful forty-something woman in a crisp, white and black pantsuit. She smiles widely, beckoning us to follow her. Niall takes the lead as we click-clack down the granite and oak hallways. Anna pushes us into her office, very minimalistic and modern, like Niall's. We sit down in two plastic red chairs across from a white leather futon, which Anna sits down upon, folding her hands into her lap.

"Well first off, hello. Niall, you and I already know each other," she says with a mischevious wink, and I notice the lack of a wedding band on her finger. Niall smiles politely, but doesn't return the same friendly compliment. "But Elouise, we've never really interacted before."

"Publicity isn't my thing."

"We'll have to change that by Friday, won't we?" She gives me a small smile that makes me feel as if I've said the wrong thing. "Anyways, what I'd like to do is start off as slow as we can. A few random sightings of the two of you together. Not at big events. Takeout at each other's apartments. Leaving the office together." She shows us some blurry pictures of various celebrities participating in the acts forementioned. "Then, we crank it up. By next Friday you're out at the dinner party together, a ring on her finger, and a happy smile on your face." She giggles, smiling at Niall. The corner of his lips turn up quickly and then return to the usual flat line. "We'll have meetings at least once a day for the first few days to help you two become the best couple since the Kennedy's."

I stare at the pictures again, imagining my blurry face instead of Angelina Jolie's, and Niall's shy wave instead of Zac Efron's. It seems too easy. "This is all we have to do?"

"Well, it'll increase slowly. But we want to hit the presses with an edge of surprise."

"So no announcement to the public?" Niall asks, breaking his silence.

"No... not yet. We will have you announce it to your family first."

"They're back in Ireland." He says, straightening his tie.

"I know, I've got my people on that. I'm thinking a trip to Mullingar would be best for the two of you this weekend. It'll definitely catch the press's attention."

"This weekend?" Niall and I ask at the same time, our tones of increduality mirrored.

"Yes, this weekend." Anna says with a bubble of laughter. "You two are legally engaged now. It's time to act like it." After a few seconds of silence, she exhales, clearing thinking of a new way to motivate us. "Niall, what is the one thing you want in life?" She asks, staring at him intensely.

"Power," he replies without hesitance. The word rolls off his tongue and erupts a trail of goosebumps down my arms.

"And you, Elouise?"

It takes me much longer to answer. What did I want in life? I suppose I wanted happiness, yes, but I also wanted success and glory. "I want... to be successful."

"See?!" Anna claps her hands together, smiling happily. "You're already the perfect couple! You want the same thing!" I bite my lip hesitantly and sneak a sideways glance at Niall, whose expression is unreadable. "Alright kids, go get lunch... together." She adds, standing up to let us out. "Smile and laugh. Give each other flirty looks. Go somewhere well known but not obvious."

"Yes ma'am." Niall teases, cracking his first smile all day. It makes me feel a little better to know he's not miserable.

***

"You like Asian right?" Niall asks, his suit covered shoulder brushing against mine.

"Yes I do," I say with a small grin. The black Lincoln pulls into the building's parking deck, and we pile into the backseat, our first somewhat-private moment since our "engagement".

"Alright, Joe, take us to the regular." I want to ask what "the regular" is, but I don't, and instead remain focused on an email to Calinda, setting up me and Niall's meetings with Anna for the next two weeks.

"You're always on that thing, aren't you?" He asks, a slight smile on his lips.

"Just organizing your life." I tease, pressing send on the email and putting my phone away.

"We're almost there. You ready?" I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be "ready" for, and I hope it's not some crazy authentic Asian food with fresh jellyfish for lunch.

"Erm... yeah." I reply, staring up at the concrete buildings surrounding us. We're in the financial distract, surrounded by hundreds of the same business people, each somehow different yet surprisingly similar.

"It's not too far from here. You'll like it. It's a nice quiet place." Niall says to me before checking his phone. After a short rush of clicking, he shoves it back into his pocket.

I return my gaze to the window, watching us pull up to a hole in the wall Japanese restaurant. Niall exits first and then reaches into the car, his hand extending to help me. I take it gently, giving him a small smile as I protrude from the black car and into the city air, the rush of life buzzing around me.

"C'mon, I'll get us a table. I'm friends with the owner." I feel his warm palm stretch out over the small of my back, his gentle hand guiding me inside the restaurant.

****

yeeT

chapters gettin longer. next chappie is super long i just finished it. gives you some bachground;)