Chapter 3

I walked into the house, my eyes filled with wonder. The inside was a similar color to the exterior, with a large open room. There were several pieces of furniture scattered about, covered with white sheets. I placed my suitcase next to the door and began to wander throughout the house. Dad and Crystal soon joined me.

"Well this is... Nice." Crystal attempted to sound pleased.

We all walked from room to room, exploring our new summer home. It had your typical rooms, the kitchen, a bathroom, dining room, parlor, and bedrooms upstairs with another bathroom. But the room I found next would definitely be my favorite. I found a room in the back of the first floor with a large doorway, with two mahogany colored doors guarding what lay behind them.

I opened the doors to find a large room that connected to the backyard. There were glass doors, so you had a perfect view of the outside. The room seemed to have more elegant decorations than the rest, with paintings still hung on the walls and dusty pottery. My eyes were drawn to the large white lump in the corner of the room. I walked over to it and lifted the sheet's corner.

Oh my gosh. Is that-?

It was. It was a grand piano. My heart nearly leapt out of its chest. A real piano. I had never played an actual piano, except for the small one at my grandparents house. Mom knew how to play, so she taught me the basics. Grandma and Grandpa always kept one around the house in case I ever wanted to play, and I did. It was the only way I could have some fun over there.

I pulled off the remainder of the sheet, and coughed a little because of the wave of dust swirling around it. It was a classic black piano, with a seat beckoning for my company. I tossed the sheet to the ground and began inspecting this diamond in the rough. It still looked fairly new, with few scratches and wear. I ran my hand across the smooth top, only to get my fingers filthy with dust. How long has it been since anyone has seen you? I moved to the keys, which were in good condition as well. I ran my index finger across every note, and it sounded perfect.

Dad must have heard it, because no sooner was he standing next to me.
"Wow," He chuckled, "that's a real beauty. You should play it sometime, hm?"

I gave him a warm glance. Can this house get any better? We both left the room and headed back to Crystal, who looked overwhelmed.

"We should start getting settled before we get sleepy." Dad suggested. We followed suit. I took my luggage up the creaky stairs to find my room. They decided to let me have first pick, to which I had no objections. I chose the room on the far left side of the house. It had the best view, and a window seat. Dad said the beds would need new sheets and stuff, so I plopped my suitcase on the floor and put some clothes in the closet. There wasn't much of anything in there. Just a few boxes on the top shelf. I'll snoop through those later.

Crystal called me downstairs and asked if I wanted to come with her to get bedding and groceries. I gave a solid no to that. I wanted to see more of this place. I decided to go outside next, which was an unusual choice coming from me. I think Dad could tell that I liked the place. He snuck a grin onto his face as I slipped on some shoes and headed out the front door.

It was a nice day out, and the beachside view was pretty neat. The house didn't have much of a yard, because it was on a cliff-type thing. I wandered around back to where the glass doors were, and checked out the scenery. I could see a few houses nearby, but not close enough to be bothered by. I wondered, Who lives there? I knew that I would probably end up meeting these people, but I knew they would just be summertime acquaintances that we had coffee and small talk with. But for a second, it felt like I didn't really want that. Maybe I had some sort of hope that I would meet someone. Someone who might understand.

Maybe. Just maybe.

[Author's note: Sorry the chapters are still pretty short. I'm working on it, but be prepared for more soon! And as always, thanks for reading!]