Chapter 28

[ This is a shorter chapter, so I apologize in advance. The story has come so far, but I don't really know where I'm going with the plot at this point, so bear with me. I'm gonna try to wrap Beautiful Symphony up soon, sadly, but also gladly. Thank you for coming this far. I appreciate everything. ]

  Things didn't change in the slightest, other than the fact that we were closer than ever. We told each other everything, from favorite ice cream toppings to our deepest fears.

Crystal even got to know Elliot a bit better. She always made sure to chat with him when she got the chance. I knew that she could never be my mother, but I appreciated her presence in my life.

It had been a week since Dad left. He texted us a lot, checking up on us. It was like he had finally decided to focus on us rather than his job. Don't get me wrong, my Dad is a great guy, he just forgets the big picture sometimes.

I was sitting out on the front porch, drinking lemonade with Crystal, when Elliot texted me.

  Him: "Hey, will you bring me some lunch? I'm at work and can't find a chance to go get some."

  Me: "Sure. Pizza?"

  Him: "Sounds good. See you soon."

  I found myself doing small things like this a lot lately. Our relationship had become more casual, which didn't bother me at all. I preferred a more relaxed type environment anyways.

  "I'm going to bring Elliot lunch. I'll be back in a few." I got up from the rocking chair.

"Okay sweetie, be careful."

I grabbed the keys from the newly remodeled kitchen counter. Crystal had been hiring people to get some work done on the house while Dad was gone. She wanted to surprise him when he got back.

I begged her not to change too much, because of my love for the old place. She agreed to leave the Victorian style, but with some touch ups. I had to admit, it looked pretty good.

Once, I asked why she didn't have a career in interior design or something similar. She basically said that her parents never supported her, so she decided to get a boring day job instead.

We talked about it some more, and I learned that she had been thinking about quitting for a while. The job never made her happy, and Dad made enough for the both of them. I encouraged her to pursue design. She appreciated it.

I drove to the small pizza place on Bay Avenue, where Crystal and I ordered from when we were too lazy to cook or go out. I got him a personal pizza, with mushrooms and extra cheese.

I had discovered that he was quite the picky eater. He hated most vegetables, and was not huge on sweets. I had never been picky. I usually liked everything.

I paid the familiar old man at the counter with a smile. My social skills had gotten much better over the summer, and everyone in town was so kind.

I drove back downtown to Lonnie's, and the place was packed, as per usual. I used the back door, which was propped open with a broom. I guided my way around the scattered workers on break.

I found him next to the kitchen, talking to Mark, whom I had met before.

  "Hey, Mrs. Elliot Lawrence! You bring something good?"

  I laughed. I was slowly getting more used to Mark's playful nature.

  "Oh shut up, Mark." Elliot blushed, giving Mark a punch on the arm.

  "Hey! Don't take it out on me!" Mark yelled as he headed back into the kitchen.

  "Sorry about that, Ari. He's been wild today."

  "It's fine. I brought mushroom with extra cheese." I held the box out to him.

  "You're a lifesaver." He pulled me into a hug. "I would starve if I didn't have you."

  "You could always eat here, you know." I suggested.

  "I know, I just hate taking from the restaurant. Lonnie won't let me pay. Speaking of, how much do I owe you?"

  "Well," I pulled away from him. "Nothing, If you'll do something for me."

  "Okay, what is it?"

It had been on my mind ever since Dad left, and I knew it needed to happen. We had been together for two months.

  "I want you to meet my Dad." I rocked on my heels, staring at the ground.

  "Oh." He said. "That's not terrifying at all."

I looked up at him hopefully.

  "But sure. Why not."

  I grinned from ear to ear. "Great!" I squeezed him. "We'll make plans when he gets back."

  "Alright, I'll take off work if I need to. My dad  called me again today, by the way."

  "Really?" I loosened myself from him. "Did you talk to him?"

  "Yeah," he sighed. "It was weird, but not bad. He said he wanted to meet up sometime."

  "That's great! Maybe he wants to step up and be a real father to you and Anna."

  "Yeah, let's hope so." He said, looking down at his watch. "I gotta go, I only have a few more minutes on my break."

  "Okay," I placed a kiss on his lips. "See you later."

  "Uh," he stumbled. "Yeah, see you later."

  It always took him by surprise when I did something like that, and I found it adorable. I half skipped to the door.

  "Oh, I love you!" He shouted.

  I turned, before stepping out the door. "I love you too, dummy." He always waited until the last second. Dummy.

  I drove back home. Home. I found myself calling it that lately. It felt like home. I had Elliot there, along with Dad and Crystal. I knew most of the places in town. And the house was my home, just like it was my mothers.

  I loved everything about the place, and I never wanted to leave. I still had no idea what I was going to do when we did leave. It was still too much for me. I just wanted to focus on the present, and be happy.

  Because for once, I was.

  I was happy.